"Around Town: UB Family Weekend, Buffalo Maritime Festival and Buffalo Saturday Artisan Market"

This weekend, you can find fun things to do around Buffalo without even getting into your car. With the fourth week of school in full swing, it’s just about time for parents to start missing their kids, especially the ones they’ve sent off to school for the first time.

Family weekend, hosted by UB Student Life, has a weekend of events planned for students and their families. Starting Friday and continuing through Sunday, families – as well as students without visitors – can take part in a carnival, football game and concert. Some of the events, such as the Great Pumpkin Farm Trip, require attendees to register in advance. Students can find a list of walk-in events on the family weekend website: familyweekend.buffalo.edu.

On Friday, the CFA will be hosting “A Night of Magic with Illusionist Greg Frewin,” at the Mainstage Theatre. Frewin is regarded as a “World Champion of Magic,” and has won awards around the world for his talent, according to the CFA’s website. General admission tickets are $20 and children (12 and under) can purchase tickets for $16. Presented by Student Life as a part of family weekend, discount family four pack tickets are available at the box office for $66. Regular admission attendees can purchase tickets online at tickets.com or at the box office in the CFA.

On Saturday, Stampede Square will be packed with people tailgating for the UB Football vs. Norfolk State game. From 1 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., the UB Alumni Association will be hosting a Tent Party in the stadium lot as a university–wide event before the game. According to Alumni Association’s website, attendees can enjoy a catered meal while listening to the Spin Doctors, an American alternative rock band, who will take the stage two hours before the game.

If you want to give your friends and family a real taste of Buffalo this weekend, don’t just take them to them to Baird Point. Take them to experience a day of tugboats, handmade soap and ghost stories at Canalside in downtown Buffalo.

The second annual Buffalo Maritime Festival will take place from Sept. 19 to Sept. 21. There will be activities for all ages and admission is free. Start the day by taking a tour of the 198 foot-long US Brig Niagara. The Niagara was one of nine small ships that defeated six British vessels in the Battle of Lake Erie in 1813 and helped secure the Northwest Territory. Tours of the Niagara cost $7 for adults and $5 for children. Kids – don’t forget your eye-patch, peg leg and mermaid tail for children’s costume parade at 1 p.m. Adults – don’t be disappointed. There’s also an adult costume parade at 8 p.m. Prizes will be awarded for the best costume. At the end of the day, be sure to hop on board the Spirit of Buffalo for the Evening Sunset Sail from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. This ride is sure to give you a new perspective on the city of Buffalo

You can continue your Canalside experience at the Buffalo Saturday Artisan Market (SAM) from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. SAM is a true handicraft market featuring dozens of Western New York-area artisans, according to its website. You’ll find everything from colored glass to wine charms to vegan bath and beauty products. Live music performances will occur throughout the day, including a performance by Relativity Bellydance, a group of American Tribal Style belly dancers, at 11:30 a.m. While you’re listening, you can grab some food from local food trucks and let your belly dance to the taste of Amy’s Place, The Louisiana Cookery and Sweet Melody’s.

Feeling a little more adventurous? Take a Haunted History Ghost Walk and experience a side of Canalside you never knew existed. The walk gives you a chance to learn about the haunting history and maritime maladies that surround Canalside. You might even befriend some ghosts. Haunted History Ghost Walks begin at 10 p.m. and run for about 90 minutes. The tour costs $15 per person and participants are asked to pay in cash at Clinton’s Dish Snack Shack, the starting point of the tour. If you’re interested in the tour, you can register online at the Buffalo History Tour’s website.

email: features@ubspectrum.com