"Around town: Broadway Market, 100TPC, David Poe reading"

This weekend offers you a chance to celebrate culture and be part of history

Captionn Sept. 27, hundreds of cities from across the world will participate in 100TPC by hosting poetry readings and performances to inspire change.

Start your weekend on the right track and visit the train show at the Broadway Market. The show offers an opportunity to learn about the history and inner workings of trains and admire the craftsmanship of various collectables. With newfound knowledge from the market, you’ll be able to impress all your “un-trained” friends. The train show is free and will run from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 27.

You can be part of Buffalo’s history this weekend and be one of the first people to use the new, free shuttle service that links the Broadway Market to the Clinton-Bailey Farmer’s Market, two of Buffalo’s most treasured markets. The shuttle service will open on Sept. 27 and be available from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

This weekend also offers you the chance to make change.

Write a haiku, dream up a sonnet or sculpt a concrete poem and perform your piece at the rally for peace and sustainability with 100 Thousand Poets for Change (100TPC) at Silo City at 92 Childs St. 100TPC is an international grassroots organization that aims to gather poets, artists, musicians and activists from across the world to express their dedication to social, environmental and political change. On Sept. 27, hundreds of cities from across the world will participate in 100TPC by hosting poetry readings and performances to inspire change.

The way we approach social change these days is, well, changing. The People’s Climate March in New York City last Sunday attracted over 300,000 people from across the nation. Organizations hold walks nearly every week to promote awareness and raise funds for various causes.

This weekend, grab some friends, step out of your comfort zone and consider participating in the 100TPC movement. Just Buffalo Literary Center, an organization dedicated to celebrating the literary arts, will host Saturday’s 100TPC gathering in Buffalo. Participants are encouraged to write a poem on the theme of “change” and register for the event on Just Buffalo’s website. The event is free and will take place from 12 p.m. to 9 p.m.

You can continue the cultural discussion after the rally and listen to Buffalo native David Poe speak about his new book, French Kisses, at Talking Leaves … Books on Elmwood Avenue on Sunday, Sept. 28 at 3 p.m. After studying creative writing at Syracuse University, he spent 30 years in France and taught technical and creative writing. French Kisses is a 242 page collection of short fiction that depicts the nuances of relationships between the American and the French. The book has twelve short stories and each story involves an American living in France. The event is free, and attendees are encouraged to purchase a copy of French Kisses.

Whether you prefer the hustle-bustle of a farmer’s market, the fervor of a political gathering, or the contemplative silence at a book talk, there’s something for everyone this weekend in Buffalo.

email: features@ubspectrum.com