Quick Hits: Spring Break recap

Baseball (10-7, 2-1 Mid-American Conference)

The Bulls began Spring Break in Virginia, losing to Rutgers (8-12) and Virginia Commonwealth (20-3, 3-0 Atlantic 10 Conference) and defeating Lafayette (6-10).

The team returned to Buffalo to take on Canisius (14-7, 3-0 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) Wednesday and lost, 12-11. Heading into the ninth inning, Buffalo was down 10-8 but scored three runs to take an 11-10 lead. The team allowed a two-run, walk-off homerun in the bottom of the ninth.

This weekend, the Bulls began conference play against Northern Illinois (3-17, 1-2 MAC) to wrap up Spring Break. After losing the first game of the series, 15-9, Buffalo rebounded with two victories to take the series. It is the 11th straight conference series the Bulls have won dating back to 2012.

The two wins featured solid pitching, as Mike Burke and Anthony Magovney combined to give up just two runs and seven hits in 13 innings pitched.

This weekend, the Bulls host Ball State (16-8, 3-0 MAC). The series will take place at Monroe Community College in Rochester and begins Friday at 3 p.m.

Softball (14-13)

The Bulls went 4-6 during Spring Break while competing in the University of South Florida (USF) Under Armour Tournament. The team faced Stetson (21-5) and Florida A&M (10-17) to end the trip.

Buffalo will begin conference play next weekend, as it hosts Ball State (18-11) for a doubleheader on Friday, beginning at 1 p.m. The Bulls then host Miami Ohio (11-14) for a two-game series starting Saturday at 2 p.m. The series will conclude with a game Sunday at 1 p.m.

Men's Tennis (9-5, 0-1 MAC)

Sunday at the Miller Tennis Center, Buffalo lost its conference opener to Toledo (7-15, 1-0 MAC), 5-2. It was the Bulls' first home match in over a month. The Rockets got the doubles point and clinched the match early in singles play. Buffalo will host Binghamton (10-8) Friday, April 4, at 2 p.m.

Women's Tennis (10-3, 1-1 MAC)

The Bulls traveled to Florida for two matches and returned home to begin conference play. Buffalo split matches with Hillsdale (9-12, 8-6 Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference) and Florida Atlantic (8-8, 0-2 Conference USA) before returning home for its first two MAC matches against Eastern Michigan (9-6, 2-0 MAC) and Toledo (10-4, 1-1 MAC). Buffalo lost to the Eagles, 4-3, but rebounded to defeat the Rockets by the same score.

The team will next play Saturday at Northern Illinois (5-7, 0-2 MAC) at 2 p.m.

Men's Lacrosse (4-1)

Buffalo traveled south for five games, three of which went into overtime. The team defeated Minnesota (3-3, 1-0 Upper Midwest Lacrosse league), 6-5, in extra time and Vanderbilt (4-3, 2-1 SouthEastern Lacrosse Conference), 8-7, in four overtime periods.

The Bulls fell to Central Florida (5-1, 1-1 SELC), 11-10, in overtime. Buffalo defeated Alabama (2-8, 1-2 SELC), 11-5, and Western Virginia (2-2), 12-7.

The Bulls next play No. 6 Michigan State (5-2, 2-0 Central Collegiate Lacrosse League) Saturday at 7 p.m.

Swimming and Diving

Senior Brittney Kuras competed in the NCAA National Championships in Minneapolis, Minn., this weekend. Kuras set a school and MAC record in the 200 individual medley with a time of 1:58.01, but she did not advance past the preliminaries. Kuras was the lone Bull at the meet.

Wrestling (3-17, 0-8 MAC)

Last Thursday, senior Nick Flannery competed in the NCAA Tournament at the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, Okla. He lost both of his matches in the 141-pound weight class, being pinned by Virginia Tech's Devin Carter and losing by technical fall to Iowa State's Josh Dwieza in the consolation match.

Flannery was the lone representative from Buffalo in the tournament. He received an automatic bid after finishing fifth place in the 141-pound weight class in the MAC Tournament. Flannery is a transfer from Cleveland State and finished his only season as a Bull with a record of 22-20.

Track & Field

Senior shot putter Jonathan Jones and sophomore heptathlon athlete Mike Morgan competed in the NCAA Indoor Track & Field Championships in Albuquerque, N.M., March 14-15. Morgan finished in seventh place and Jones finished in 12th.