Hardwood Report Card

Bulls split week's games in contrasting offensive performances

This week, the Bulls (11-7, 5-3 Mid-American Conference) defeated Western Michigan (12-8, 5-3 MAC), 84-63, at home and fell to Bowling Green (10-11, 4-4 MAC), 74-68, on the road.

Here is the sports staff's breakdown of how UB performed in each phase of the game.

Three-point shooting: C-

Despite Buffalo's highest scoring outburst of the season on Wednesday against Western Michigan, only 18 of the Bulls' 84 points came from behind the arc.

The Bulls shot just 28.6 percent from deep, with freshman guard Shannon Evans leading in efficiency (3 of 6). Junior forward Will Regan began Sunday's contest hitting his first three 3-pointers, but missed his ensuing five. The Bulls shot 30.8 percent as a team and took nearly half (26 of 55) of their shots from behind the arc.

Foul shooting: B-

Buffalo shot uncharacteristically poor from the foul line in its loss to the Falcons

on Sunday. The Bulls shot only 64.3 percent and missed 10 free throws after shooting at least 70 percent in five of their previous seven MAC contests.

Buffalo hit 12 of 16 shots against Western Michigan, including 6 of 7 by senior guard Joshua Freelove.

Ball control: B-

The Bulls assisted on a season-high 24 baskets on Wednesday night because of their effective inside game. Before senior forward Javon McCrea got into foul trouble, he scored 20 points, and sophomore forward Justin Moss scored 14 in his stead.

Buffalo also turned the ball over 15 times on Wednesday.

On Sunday, the Bulls were not nearly as efficient with the ball, assisting on just 12 baskets and turning the ball over 11 times.

Overall offense: B+

This grade is so high mostly because of the Bulls' 84 points on Wednesday night. It was by far the Bulls' most effective offensive game of the season despite failing to score for the first three minutes of the game.

The offense wasn't quite as potent on Sunday, with a few ill-advised shots late in the game as the team struggled to rebound after McCrea fouled out.

Rebounding: B+

The Bulls got consistent rebounding numbers from nearly every player on their team last week, with McCrea recording 11 rebounds for a double-double on Sunday.

On Wednesday, they outrebounded the Broncos, 41-27, but they struggled on the glass on Sunday, recording just 27 rebounds to the Falcons' 42. Part of that is likely due to the fact that McCrea fouled out with 2:28 left in the game.

Buffalo's offensive rebounding continues to be superb, as it continues to garner second opportunities on offense. Over the past two games, the Bulls have grabbed 29 boards on the offensive glass.

Defense: B

The Bulls surprisingly held Bowling Green to a lower shooting percentage in

Sunday's loss (42.1 percent) than Western Michigan (47.2 percent) in Wednesday's victory. But Buffalo forced 18 turnovers on Wednesday compared to 12 on Sunday.

The 18 forced turnovers is a very convincing number, but the Bulls won't win too many games allowing 47 percent shooting.

Bench production: B+

Buffalo's bench contributed 34 points on Wednesday compared to just 13 on Sunday. Evans has been the Bulls' most consistent bench player, but he struggled from the field on Sunday. Evans shot 2 of 9 for nine points after scoring 17 points and totaling seven assists on Wednesday.

Moss had his best game as a Bull on Wednesday, with career highs of 14 points and six assists.

Coaching: B

The biggest blunder of Sunday's game came on an untimely technical foul on head coach Bobby Hurley. After McCrea's fifth and final foul of the game, with just over 2 minutes remaining, the referee had enough of Hurley's complaining and 'T'd' up Buffalo's first-year head coach. This was the point at which Bowling Green took the lead for the rest of the game.

Buffalo's offense was extremely effective on Wednesday and much of that credit goes to Hurley.