Taking down the RedHawks: The Spectrum's scouting report

After losing 51-41 to Toledo last Tuesday, the Bulls (7-3, 5-1 Mid-American Conference) are set to take on bottom-feeding Miami Ohio (0-10, 0-6 MAC).

Offensive player to watch:

Austin Boucher, senior, quarterback

A spotlight is hard to predict for the RedHawks. They rank dead last in the Mid-American Conference in scoring offense, rushing and passing, and don't have a single player in the top 10 of any meaningful statistical category.

Quarterback Austin Boucher wins by default as our "player to watch." Boucher is a senior in his first year as the full-time starter for the RedHawks. While Miami's run game has struggled to create offense (96.1 yards per game), Boucher has been forced to run a unit that has virtually no threats. He's averaging 130.9 passing yards per game - last in the MAC by more than 40 yards per game. Miami's offense has accounted for just eight touchdowns all season and Boucher has six of those through the air.

Defensive player to watch:

Kent Kern, sophomore, linebacker

Kern played in every game as a freshman last season and is the leader of Miami's defensive unit this year. The RedHawks rank 12th in the MAC in yards allowed and 10th in scoring defense (32.9 points per game), but Kern has stood out. The Toledo native ranks seventh in the MAC in tackles per game with 9.2.

Matchup to watch:

Branden Oliver vs. Miami run defense

The Bulls' run game struggled last week against Toledo, and we saw the result - the Bulls fell behind 38-0. The RedHawks gave up 300 yards on the ground to Kent State last week, so Oliver and the run game should return to form this week. Miami's run defense ranks 10th in the MAC, and the Bulls have the fourth-best rush offense in conference.

Prediction:

It was evident last week how important the Bulls' run game is for the offense to click. They'll have no problem getting that going against winless Miami. Oliver should go well over 100 yards and the defense should return to its stingy form.

Bulls 34, Miami 6