Set sail

Hardcore band Sirens & Sailors release first major label album, Skeletons

Album: Skeletons

Artist: Sirens & Sailors

Release Date: Oct. 29

Label: Razor & Tie/ Artery Recordings

Grade: B+

Rochester, N.Y., hardcore band Sirens & Sailors might be commonly mistaken for Sleeping With Sirens, a more popular "metalcore" outfit, but that association could now be over.

Sirens & Sailors have taken their heavy riffs and catchy two-step grooves to the next level with their major label debut, Skeletons.

Their debut album, Still Breathing, and last year's EP, Wasteland, garnered enough attention for a headlining tour this past January, signing with Razor & Tie in June and opening for August Burns Red at the 2013 iMatter Festival.

Skeletons constructs a balance between new and old Sirens & Sailors. Their sound from Wasteland is still present with other elements of various metal subgenres, including djent. Carson Slovak, Grant McFarland and Troy Glessner have worked with bands like August Burns Red, Silverstein and Affiance to perfect their albums. Now, they add Sirens & Sailors to their list.

The opening instrumental track, "Inception," is the calm before the storm. It progresses into "The Chosen One," a song title aptly fitting vocalist Kyle Bihrle's love for Harry Potter. Guitarist/clean vocalist Todd Golder lends his voice in the proper sections of the song and it doesn't sound forced. Bihrle and Golder balance the harsh growls and melodic singing with ease; it's a common element of any Sirens & Sailors track.

"Go For The Throat" and "Straightjacket" are easily two of the heaviest songs on Skeletons. The classic video game-like chords that start "Straightjacket" are intriguing as they progress into Golder and Jimm Lindsley's technical guitar work. The djent influence doesn't completely overwhelm the listener and classic Sirens & Sailors is still at the forefront.

"Go For The Throat" is a track that will get the crowd to move at live shows. Sirens & Sailors are already praised for their energetic stage presence, and "Go For The Throat" will only enhance the experience for both the band and fans. It's easy to imagine attendees jumping over each other to grab Bihrle's mic just before the breakdown to scream "This is for what you did to me."

Skeletons' intermission track, "Reflections," is a reflection of the band's blend of softness and grittiness, an embodiment of their name. The instrumentals lure you in like a siren would at sea.

While the second half of the album is solid, only one track really stands out among the rest.

"Born & Raised (Flower City)" is a shout out to Rochester. It's where their fan base started and Sirens & Sailors promise to never forget where they came from. The lyrics are meaningful to anyone who has ever called Rochester home, and the song will make Water Street Music Hall shake whenever Sirens & Sailors come home to play.

Whether you're a new member of The Sail Crew or a veteran, Skeletons has something for everyone. Sirens & Sailors can't be pin-holed into one subgenre and this album proves it.

Sirens & Sailors are embarking on The Preda Tour with fellow Rochester natives Ice Nine Kills on Nov. 1. Their first show will be at Main Street Armory as a celebration of Skeletons.