Making impacts on the diamond - in Buffalo and Boston

Softball team is pulling for Will Middlebrooks and the Red Sox

Lacey Middlebrooks and her brother, Will, raced to the morning newspaper to see who had thrown the most strikeouts and had a better ERA in their pitching performances the night before.

It was a common event in the traditional athletic, competitive household - two siblings battling each other. But the paths Middlebrooks and Will followed after high school are far from traditional.

Middlebrooks was a standout softball pitcher at Tulsa and is now an assistant coach for Buffalo's softball team.

Will is the starting third baseman for the Boston Red Sox - who are battling the Detroit Tigers for the right to represent the American League in the World Series next week.

"It was crazy competitive; I wanted to beat Will in everything and he wanted to beat me," Middlebrooks said. "Everything was a competition, and my dad kind of egged it on. Growing up with a brother who was just as competitive and athletic helped me to become such a good athlete."

Middlebrooks will serve as the Bulls' pitching coach this season in her first year coaching. Her name is etched in the record books at Tulsa, as she finished her career in the school's top 10 in career wins, saves, complete games, shutouts and innings pitched.

She is part of a new coaching staff at UB, led by first-year head coach Trena Peel, who said Middlebrooks' relation to the Red Sox has sparked excitement on the team.

"When [Will] gets a hit, we talk about it every day, so it's kind of a side story for us and we get excited," said Peel, who is a Colorado Rockies fan but is temporarily in the Red Sox's corner. "I'm all about Boston, and it gives me a reason to watch now, knowing somebody, so I want to see them be successful."

On Sunday, the Red Sox evened up their series with Detroit (1-1) in thrilling fashion. The Sox trailed 5-1 entering the eighth inning and it was Will who sparked the team's rally after doubling to left field. Just three batters later, the bases were filled for David 'Big Papi' Ortiz, who hit a game-tying grand slam.

Middlebrooks was on her way to dinner and just missed her brother's clutch hit.

"As soon as I turned it back on, he had just gotten on base with his double," Middlebrooks said. "I had missed that, but I always kid and say he does better when I don't watch."

Middlebrooks said watching her brother play is surreal.

"When the game was on, I paced back and forth and I could not let myself watch his at-bat because I get just as nervous as if it's his first game," she said. "I'm grateful to be able to watch my brother and see him go through this process."

Middlebrooks is in the heart of softball's offseason and is trying to revamp a team that struggled last year. The Bulls finished 16-32 and 6-14 in Mid-American Conference play.

The program's struggles, however, made her decision to join the Bulls easier. She is excited to help turn around a program and have an impact on the team.

"Once I graduated and was away from [softball], I realized how much I missed it and how softball has been my passion for so long," Middlebrooks said. "I feel like I have a lot to contribute to a lot of people."

While Middlebrooks continues to help prepare the Bulls for the upcoming season, Will is fighting to help the Red Sox earn a trip to the World Series. They currently have a 2-1 series lead over the Tigers and Game Four is scheduled for Wednesday at 8 p.m.