Gridiron Report Card

The Spectrum grades the Bulls' performance after 41-21 win at Kent State

Gridiron Report Card

The Bulls defeated Kent State, 41-21, in Ohio to improve to 6-2 (4-0 Mid-American Conference) this year. They are bowl eligible for the first time since 2008. After the win, The Spectrum's sports editors graded Buffalo by position.

Passing Game: A

Sophomore quarterback Joe Licata continued to play his role to perfection in the Bulls' offense: complement a run-first offense with quick and accurate throws. Licata completed 20 of his 31 passes for 285 yards and two touchdowns. In four conference games, Licata has yet to throw an interception.

Run Game: A

Senior running back Branden Oliver set a UB Division I record on Saturday with four rushing touchdowns. After an injury plagued junior season and a slow start to his 2013 campaign, Oliver is dominating MAC opponents. He rushed for 185 yards against Kent - his fourth straight game over the century mark.

Receiving: A

Licata and the receiving corps were on the same page all day, as senior receivers Fred Lee and Alex Neutz each topped 70 yards receiving. Specifically, the chemistry on the back-shoulder throws was flawless and one resulted in an eight-yard touchdown for Neutz. It's the third straight game Lee has caught at least 70 yards as he continues to excel as a promising second option for Licata.

Offensive line: A-

The line provided holes to help Oliver to another field day on the ground. Oliver averaged six yards per carry and Licata didn't get sacked once. Most impressive was the success the line had in the absence of senior captain Jasen Carlson, who suffered a broken leg last week against UMass and is out for the season.

Run defense: B

The run defense wasn't dominant but it did its job. The Bulls contained the Flashes in the first half as Buffalo pulled away, but ended up allowing 103 yards and two touchdowns. The defense as a whole had an unimpressive second half, allowing back-to-back Kent State touchdown drives.

Pass defense: B+

To no surprise, senior linebacker Khalil Mack was responsible for Buffalo's two forced turnovers. Mack had an interception and forced an arrant pass from Colin Reardon that led to an interception for junior corner Cortney Lester. Kent was able to move the ball successfully through the air later in the second half amid its comeback and the Bulls allowed 260 passing yards.

Special teams: B

Conditions in Kent, Ohio, were brutal and the wind affected the special team's play all game. Freshman Boise Ross was a bright spot for the Bulls with a dazzling 38-yard kickoff return.

Coaching: A

Head coach Jeff Quinn has led the Bulls to their longest winning streak since 1959 and he's done so with a consistent, effective game plan. Buffalo football has an identity this year. The offense credited coordinator Alex Wood with its tremendous game plan against Kent State.