Bulls head to Michigan: The Spectrum's scouting report

The Bulls have advanced to a 3-2 record for the first time in their FBS history. This week, they face a winless Western Michigan (0-6) squad.

Offensive player to watch

Corey Davis, freshman, wide receiver

Davis is a true freshman who has displayed loads of upside in his first five games with the Broncos. He stepped onto Western Michigan's campus as just a two-star recruit coming out of high school, and despite playing in only five of the team's six games, he's leading in every receiving statistical category.

It didn't take him long to make his presence known as he tallied eight catches for 96 yards and a touchdown in the season opener against Michigan State. After three weeks he was added to the Biletnikoff Award Watch List - awarded to the nation's top receiver - and is currently averaging 82.4 yards per game.

Defensive player to watch

Donald Celiscar, junior, cornerback

Celiscar was named Mid-American Conference Defensive Player of the Week in Week One after recording 10 tackles against Michigan State. His contributions to the Broncos' stingy defensive backs unit have continued - Western Michigan is surrendering just 168.7 passing yards per game to the opposition.

Celiscar came into the season with three career interceptions and is on the verge of surpassing that mark this season alone. He has two picks and six pass breakups through six games this year. He also leads all Broncos cornerbacks with 30 tackles.

Key matchup

Joe Licata vs. Broncos' defensive backs

The Bulls' run game has been the spark of the offense in the last three games and it should find success again on Saturday. If Licata can continue to find open receivers - once the offense baits the opposition to focus on the run - Buffalo should have no problem approaching the 40-point mark again.

Prediction

Western Michigan's winless record may be a bit deceiving at first glance. Three of its losses came against formidable opponents in the Big 10 and another was against a top MAC team in Toledo. Nonetheless, the Broncos have been lifeless in all of those contests - losing by an average of 29.25 points per game - and were toppled by FCS program Nicholls.

The Bulls scored at least 40 points for the second straight game last week against Eastern Michigan - the first time they've done so in the modern Division IA era - and the Broncos' defense has been nothing short of atrocious. The offense - through an aggressive run game - should continue to click.

It may look like an easy victory on paper for the Bulls, but they need to prove that they can compete on the road against a conference opponent.

Buffalo 31, Western Michigan 10