Fall video game guide: the next generation of gaming

As the doomsday clock of the current console generation ticks onward toward the release of the Playstation 4 (PS4) and Xbox One in November, there are still plenty of great games to dive into beyond the brilliant allure of Los Santos in Grand Theft Auto V.

The releases of the Playstation 4 on Nov. 15 and Xbox One a week later on Nov. 22 certainly don't mean PS3 and Xbox 360 have become outdated, useless bricks. There are still plenty of amazing games coming out over the next couple of years for both PS3 and Xbox 360. It does, however, mean that for gaming, this holiday season is one of the most exciting in years.

For anyone considering buying a PS4 or Xbox One who wants to get any of these games before their new console of choice launches, it's important to know that upgrading your copy of the game from Xbox 360 to Xbox One or from PS3 to PS4 will cost just $10.

Here is a handful of the great gaming experiences coming this fall:

NBA 2k14

Release date: Oct. 1 for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360; Nov. 15 for PS4; Nov. 22for Xbox One

For the past few years, 2K game's annual pro basketball game series has been highly regarded as one of, if not, the best sports games being made today, and 2k14 looks to be no different. The return of competitive, fan-favorite "Crews" mode isn't the only improvement made to the game. With a graphical overhaul, additions like player-unique signature skills and daily roster updates, 2k14 certainly appears to be the best edition of this series yet.

Beyond: Two Souls

Release date: Oct. 8, exclusively for PS3

The ever-shrinking difference between video games and cinema is very apparent in this psychological thriller developed by Quantic Dream, the makers of Heavy Rain. The game takes place over 15 years ago and follows Jodie Holmes - voiced by and modeled after Ellen Page - who develops a psychic link to an invisible entity that grants her supernatural abilities.

As Jodie ages and travels the globe, the player's decisions and actions decide her fate through emotionally charged events never before seen in video games. For gamers who don't like the PS3 controller, or find the game's interface unfriendly, the option to use a smartphone as a controller is an added bonus.

Batman: Arkham Origins

Release date: Oct. 25 for PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U and PC

This game takes place five years before the events of 2009's Arkham Asylum and follows a less refined Batman in the second year of his career as he squares off with Black Mask. While he is used to warding off petty gun thugs, Batman finds himself stuck in the crosshairs of eight elite assassins like Deadshot and Deathstroke, who are looking to collect a bounty for his head.

Origins sets the stage for many key moments in the early career of Batman, like his first confrontation with the Joker, his struggle with Gotham City police and his growing allegiance with Detective Jim Gordon. Although the series has shifted away from Rocksteady - the developer of the first two Batman: Arkham games - Origins still appears to have improved upon its predecessors' excellence.

Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag

Release date: Oct. 29for Xbox 360, Wii U and PS3; Nov. 15 for PS4; Nov. 22for Xbox One

The sixth major installment in the Assassin's Creed series explores the Caribbean during the golden age of pirating in the early 1700s. As a sequel to the modern story and prequel to the historical timeline of Assassin's Creed III, Assassin's Creed IV places the gamer in control of Captain Edward Kenway, the grandfather of Connor Kenway - the protagonist of Assassin's Creed III - who is feared by even the most notorious of pirates. Black Flag, which features a richer open-world experience and improved combat over its predecessors, looks to be the best Assassin's Creed yet.

Battlefield 4

Release date: Oct 29 for PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

In the year 2020, war between the United States, Russia and China seems inevitable as political and military tensions rise. At the center of this massive global conflict is Tombstone, a squad of elite Special Forces operatives trying to get home alive.

Known for its vehicles, ground and air combat, large-scale battles and destructible environments, Battlefield 4 is raising the bar once again with "levelution." These massive game-changing events like a skyscraper collapsing into the city are not the only big changes to look forward to, as Dice - Battlefield's developer - continues to make the most realistic shooter on the market.

Call of Duty: Ghosts

Release date: Nov. 5 for PC, PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U; Nov. 15 for PS4; Nov. 22 for Xbox One

The other side of the nearly annual Call of Duty versus Battlefield debate this year comes in the form of Call of Duty: Ghosts. Infinity Ward, which first truly popularized the series with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, brings the series into the next generation with what has been boasted as the biggest and best game yet.

Although the single-player aspect of the game is always something to look forward to, the fast, frenetic multiplayer is what has made Call of Duty the gaming phenomenon it is today.