Something for everyone

UB, Buffalo area sprinkled with food options

<p><span style="line-height:1.6em;">Zetti's</span>, located across from <span style="line-height:1.6em;">UB's</span> North Campus on Maple Road, offers New York-style pizza and other Italian dishes. It is one of many restaurants surrounding both of UB's campuses that showcase Buffalo's great variety of food options.</p>

Zetti's, located across from UB's North Campus on Maple Road, offers New York-style pizza and other Italian dishes. It is one of many restaurants surrounding both of UB's campuses that showcase Buffalo's great variety of food options.

In a single walk down Delaware Avenue this July, participants of the Taste of Buffalo will inhale the tantalizing smell of steaming, saucy chicken wings, chow down on a beef on weck sandwich and be tempted by delicacies like chocolate-dipped cheesecake and strawberries.

The Taste of Buffalo is a two-day festival of food that hosts restaurants from all over the Western New York area. It is an opportunity to share popular dishes, some unique to the Queen City, with the community, and it allows non-Buffalonians to sample some of Buffalo's finest food.

This food extravaganza and others, like the infamous National Buffalo Wing Festival held the weekend of Labor Day, is just one way Buffalo demonstrates the extensive variety of food the city offers.

UB students, when not enjoying the wide-ranging array of campus eateries, enjoy exploring the cuisine Buffalo and its local communities have to offer.

Victoria Adebambo, a sophomore biomedical engineering major, loves visiting Nette's Fried Chicken on Main Street near UB's South Campus. She enjoys the fried chicken there because it reminds her of the southern-styled food in her hometown of Woodstock, Ga.

"I didn't realize I was going to miss [it] coming up to Buffalo," she said. "But the lady prepares it from scratch; it's cheap and really delicious."

Nick Pokoj, a sophomore biomedical sciences major, most enjoys the burritos at Lloyd's Taco Truck, a food truck that conducts business traveling all over Buffalo.

"I love it because it's something unique and I get to explore a new area of the city every time I have to find the truck," he said.

Though many recognizable chains like Denny's and Panera Bread offer comfort food near UB, students can taste different cultures and sample Buffalo-famous foods like chicken wings and beef on weck while exploring the Queen City and UB's campuses.

"UB has an outstanding residential dining program, featuring three residential dining centers ... each with its own experienced chef that creates innovative entrees using the freshest ingredients," according to the mission statement of UB Campus Dining & Shops. "The unique menus feature a variety of delicious and healthy meals, including traditional favorites, ethnic specialties and vegetarian and vegan selections."

Freshmen living in residence halls at UB are required to have a meal plan. They can choose from the any-14 or the any-19, which allow 14 or 19 meals per week, respectively. Students are also allotted a set amount of dining dollars, which can be used in convenience stores in the residence halls or when a purchase is less expensive than a meal credit.

Students eating on one of UB's campuses are able to select from a wide range of dishes - from wings, subs and hamburgers to salads and smoothies - and can get their meal to go or sit down for a nice conversation with friends. There is also a kosher option on campus, located in NY Deli & Diner in Talbert Hall on North Campus.

Between the North and South campuses, UB boasts over 25 dining options.

On North Campus, decadent ice cream sundaes topped with heaping piles of whipped cream can be found at Perks in the Ellicott Complex. Pistachio's - located on the second floor of the Student Union - is known for its pasta, made right in front of you amidst the hiss of frying pans and the wafting smell of spices. If you like your meals hot off the grill, Sizzles - located in the Ellicott Complex - is the place for you.

On South Campus, you can grab a quick sandwich and fresh fruit at the Harriman Cafeteria or chomp down on a juicy quarter-pound burger at the Main Street Market.

UB scored a grade of B+ on a College Prowler review of campus dining, compared to a B at SUNY Geneseo and SUNY Fredonia, according to collegeprowler.com.

The most recent culinary addition to UB is the Crossroads Culinary Center - better known as C3 - located in the Ellicott Complex in Red Jacket Quad on North Campus. This dining center offers food from a wide variety of cultures and healthy options that have received a positive response from students.

"[My favorite place to eat on campus] is definitely C3," said Stan Weir, a sophomore undecided major and shooting guard on the men's basketball team. "I love everything there [and there are] so many options."

Off campus, Buffalo boasts many specialty restaurants. If you're looking for chicken wings, the Anchor Bar on Main Street in downtown Buffalo or Duff's is where to go. Chef's Restaurant, located on Seneca Street in Buffalo, is well known for its pasta, hearty sauce and warm bread. Zetti's, located across from UB's North Campus on Maple Road, offers New York-style pizza and other Italian dishes.

Evan Klein, a sophomore civil engineering major, likes the pizza at Pizza Plant in local suburb Williamsville.

"In my opinion, the best dish is the 'pod,'" he said. "It's a pizza they fold over so all the sauce and toppings are on the inside. It's actually quite good."

Buffalo's culture is richly integrated with cuisine originating in the city or inspired from all over the world. No matter what type of food you're partial to, you are guaranteed to find something that suits your fancy either on one of UB's campuses or in the surrounding Buffalo area.