Save Rock and Roll album review: A testament that believers never die

Fall Out Boy returns with fifth studio album

Artist: Fall Out Boy

Album: Save Rock and Roll

Release Date: April 16

Label: The Island Def Jam Music Group

Grade: B-

2006 is back with a vengeance.

For the past few weeks, the iTunes charts have been dominated by Justin Timberlake's The 20/20 Experience, Paramore's new self-titled album and now Fall Out Boy's Save Rock and Roll. The once young fans of these artists are now college-aged or older and have obviously held onto their middle school memories.

When Fall Out Boy announced the end of its "indefinite" hiatus, the band almost gave its "believers" heart attacks. The Internet went into tears with the single and music video for "My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light Em Up)," a list of tour dates and a release date for Save Rock and Roll. With this much anticipation building among fans, the emo pop-punk group decided the May release was simply too far away.

The 11-track, 41-minute album is mildly disappointing considering the extensive waiting period fans were forced to endure. Save Rock and Roll,while infusing different sub genres of rock music, isn't the same Fall Out Boy we awkwardly danced to at high school spring flings.

Complete with a string quartet, the anthem-like track "The Phoenix" opens the disappointingly short album on a solid note. Patrick Stump's staccato cries for listeners to "put on your war paint," while evolving into glorious high notes in the chorus, proving why Fall Out Boy is still relevant. As always, bassist Pete Wentz's lyrical genius is present. Save Rock and Roll excels in lyrical and vocal content.

The album continues on its warpath with "My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light Em Up)." Stomping beats and Stump's rhythmic "rapping" add to gang vocals to make "Light Em Up" infectious. It was a smart decision for Fall Out Boy to release the track as the first single to mark its comeback. The lengthy song title keeps the band's old feel alive, while the new sound pushes through comfort zones. The song itself, however, marks a lull in the album.

"Alone Together" and "Where Did The Party Go" possess the same qualities as most Fall Out Boy songs: relatable lyrics, Stump's recognizable voice and catchy choruses that will line your newsfeed on Facebook. However, the gang vocals and same punchy bass lines become monotonous.

Expectations were high for this album, but it seems Fall Out Boy ran out of creativity in the instrumental department. The clapping and gang vocals in "Just One Yesterday" is reminiscent of "Rolling In The Deep" by Adele at the opening chords.

"Death Valley" and "Young Volcanoes" are perhaps the best two tracks on the entire album. "Death Valley" showcases Stump's falsetto with those infectious choruses and a surprise electronic ending, while "Young Volcanoes" takes a more indie approach, complete with a ukulele. Interestingly, the most outlandish attempts actually worked for Fall Out Boy.

Out of the three tracks that have guest vocalists, "Save Rock and Roll" with Elton John is the standout. "The Mighty Fall" with Big Sean and "Rat a Tat" with Courtney Love fail to impress.

Fall Out Boy attempted different rock genres in these tracks, which is commendable. However, they were average at best. "Save Rock and Roll" offers a sample of "Chicago Is So Two Years Ago" from 2003's Take This To Your Grave to offer some nostalgia.

The line "Oh no, we won't go/We don't know when to quit," closes out the album on a note of hopefulness for another album.

Save Rock and Roll isn't another From Under The Cork Tree or Take This To Your Grave. The members of Fall Out Boy have matured and so has their sound. Regardless of critical reception, all of the band's tour dates are selling out and Fall Out Boy is ruling the charts once again thanks to the diehards.

Long live the car crash hearts.