A stroke of punk rock genius

Title:Punk Rock Jesus

Publisher:Vertigo (DC Comics)

Writer and Artist:Sean Murphy

Grade: A

It's the near future and a television show entitled J2 is the most watched show in history. It's a show that sparks controversy and chaos around the world as it follows Chris, the clone of Jesus Christ.

Cloned and born of a virgin mother, Chris is kept on an island facility that is both his home and the headquarters for the reality TV show based around his life, J2. The show gains record-breaking viewership but is subject to scrutiny and outrage by politicians, scientists and religious followers alike.

Eventually, Chris leaves J2 and starts a punk rock band that becomes a platform for his worldwide rebellion.

The six-part black and white mini-series Punk Rock Jesus, written and drawn by Sean Murphy (American Vampire: Survival of the Fittest), is phenomenal. The miraculous story is packed with a believable world, characters, impeccable dialogue and lots of violence.

The near-future United States where Punk Rock Jesus takes place becomes more plausible as the book goes on - to the point where it almost feels realistic. The book does a remarkable job in displaying reactions to Chris' life - whether it's on a Larry King Live-like TV show or public outcry at the gates of J2.

The level of pandemonium that the act of cloning Jesus causes throughout the worldwide religious community becomes one of the most realistic parts of J2's narrative.

The other characters in Punk Rock Jesus also drive the story. Their dialogue, motivations and actions never feel generic, unrealistic or unbelievable. The various characters on J2 provide a unique yet compelling narrative on the effect a show like J2 can have on peoples' lives.

The characters of Punk Rock Jesus are no different from real-world celebrities who have trouble coping with fame.

The incredibly dark, gritty and violent world is all too fitting for the black-and-white artwork of Sean Murphy, who is renowned in the comic book industry for works like Joe the Barbarian and American Vampire.

Murphy also authors Punk Rock Jesus, and his vision carries over marvelously in both his writing and artwork. The artistry never takes away from the story and none of the panels ever feel wasted or hard to understand; they are always concise yet detailed.

While the mini-series wrapped up in February, the paperback came out recently. Featuring a cover gallery, unused pages and some additional material, the trade paperback is worth every penny.

Unlike the wide-spanning panels of the six issues, the trade paperback of Punk Rock Jesus occasionally has panel and dialogue divided at the seam that can hinder the experience ever so slightly.

Notwithstanding, this remarkable feat by Murphy is one of the most entertaining, unique and interesting comics in recent memory. Its indelibly complex, adult and controversial narrative is nothing short of groundbreaking.