Two UB wrestlers arrested for South Campus assault

On Sunday, two UB wrestlers were arrested in connection with an assault that left a student unconscious and bleeding from the head on Main Street.

Justin Lozano and former wrestler Clayton Reeb attacked Joshua Rubin at approximately 2:30 a.m. Saturday. Rubin was released from ECMC and is pressing second-degree assault charges, according to the University Police Department (UPD).

Rubin, his roommate John Brito and their girlfriends were attacked on the edge of South Campus on the pathway adjacent to St. Joseph's University Parish. The attackers followed the four victims from The Steer for approximately three blocks, according to Brito.

In an attempt to escape the harassment of inebriated wrestlers, the four students headed to the South Campus bus stop to go home, they said. By the time they reached the church, the assailants were "waiting and hiding" near the steps, according to UPD.

Lozano attacked Rubin, picking him up and slamming him into the concrete head first. At the same time, Reeb went after Brito, according to a female victim who wishes to remain anonymous for her safety.

"He's a wrestler," she said. "He knows how to hit people."

Blood covered the pavement as Lozano "stomped [Rubin's] head into the concrete with his foot," she said.

One of the female victims attempted to pull Lozano away but he pushed her into the snow. He told her he would "handle her boy," she said.

Brito ran in the opposite direction of the campus as the two wrestlers focused on him. He was able to flag down a Buffalo Police officer who responded to the scene. But Reeb and Lozano had already left the area, according to Brito.

Brito said he tore a ligament in his leg during the fight. He and one of the female victims were treated at ECMC for minor injuries. The second female victim was not injured, according to UPD.

Reeb and Lozano were unable to be reached for comment.

Reeb, a junior communication major, left the team in December for undisclosed reasons. Sophomore exercise science major Lozano's wrestling career will be at the discretion of the team's coaches, Joe Kepler, UB assistant director of athletic communications, told The Buffalo News.

The investigation by the Buffalo Police Department is ongoing.

The Spectrum will continue to follow the story.