Stay 18 forever

In April, the Buffalo Common Council passed legislation prohibiting those under the age of 21 from entering Chippewa bars and nightclubs, with the exception of Thursday nights - college nights - because "commingling" was causing many problems for the Entertainment District.

By October, no one under the age of 21 could be on Chippewa on any evening.

Now, bar owners and patrons aren't happy, and some have started a lawsuit, including a 19-year-old UB student, the owner of Bayou Party Bar and The Lodge and the owner of Lux nightclub.

This sickens me. I cannot comprehend why anyone would say this law is a horrible idea. Maybe my opinion doesn't have as much weight because I'm 21 years old, but hear me out.

I understand the argument that as a college student, you want to go out and have fun with your friends. I understand the argument that if you're 18, you're an adult and shouldn't be barred from an establishment. I understand this isn't an argument about whether or not underage patrons can drink in said establishments - at least to those involved in the lawsuit.

Under New York State law, anyone over the age of 16 is permitted to be in a place where alcoholic beverages are sold or given away. But businesses that sell liquor to those under 21 could lose their liquor licenses, face serious fines and even be shut down temporarily or for good.

Think of any bar you've ever visited - if you're 21. Did they knowingly let in anyone under the age of 21? I doubt it. If they did, fake IDs wouldn't exist. It's not worth the risk because if an establishment is caught allowing underage drinking, it could be devastating for owners.

And it's not a this-will-happen-to-you-if-you-willingly-and-knowingly-serve-a-minor-alcohol situation.

These things could happen if a police officer picks up a 19-year-old back on UB's campus and he says he came from an establishment in the Entertainment District, where he had an of-age friend buy him a drink. The establishment could be at fault - not just the 19-year-old who illegally drank and not just the friend who bought him the drink.

Maybe I see the commingling ban differently because I have an 18-year-old sister.

I can't picture her or any of her friends going out on Chippewa, though I know it can happen. I can't stomach the idea of her in an establishment with those over 21. To me, she is my baby sister who really isn't ready for that kind of experience. She and her peers shouldn't want to grow up so quickly.

The reality: college nights or even just allowing anyone between the ages of 18 and 20 in bars and nightclubs will have even younger kids getting fake IDs so they can party. Those who are 17 and 16 - maybe even 15 - will start to lie and say they're 18 just to get into a club.

You can't say it doesn't happen; that's na??ve and ignorant. Kids are trying to become adults faster, and some believe going to bars and nightclubs and drinking alcohol is the way to grow up.

And though the bars say they're giving wristbands to only those of-age, which allow 21-year-olds to buy alcohol, can they regulate who is consuming the alcohol? Can they regulate what happens out on the streets once those kids are inebriated?

This isn't a question of money - the bar owners claim they're losing $15,000 to $25,000 per week since the ban was put into effect.

This is a question of safety. Bar and club owners who cite the income loss are only caring about themselves and their own pockets, which is selfish and disgusting. I understand the need to make a living in this economy, but bars and clubs on Chippewa can find other ways to bring in customers. Other bars in the city seem to do that just fine without marketing to those under 21.

In theory, you should be able to mix of-age and underage people in one nightclub. In a perfect world, club and bar owners would be able to regulate who has access to alcohol. But this world isn't perfect, and Colin Miller - the 19-year-old UB student suing the City of Buffalo - and Chippewa bar owners need to take off their rose-colored glasses.

Those over 21 years old will buy minors drinks. Underage kids will have fake IDs. As much as everyone tries to ignore the problem, these things happen. Maybe a commingling ban won't erase these problems, but it sure will start to lessen it.

Miller argued the ban isn't letting Buffalo live up to its "full potential."

Does full potential mean underage drinking, stabbings and homicides - all of which have occurred during college nights, according to Darius G. Pridgen, the Ellicott District Common Council member - or does it mean safer, less crime-ridden streets?

Email: rebecca.bratek@ubspectrum.com