Five football players receive all-conference academic honors

Five of Buffalo's football players broke the stereotype this fall, and on Thursday, they were honored for their hard work in the classroom.

Junior wide receiver Alex Neutz and junior defensive end Colby Way were named to the Academic All-Mid-American Conference team. Three other UB players were given honorable mention recognition: Junior quarterback Alex Zordich, sophomore wide receiver Rudy Johnson and redshirt freshman tight end Matt Weiser.

Neutz, a management major, currently has a 3.59 GPA. This year, he also became the third player in school history to have more than 1,000 receiving yards in a season. Neutz finished the 2012 campaign with 1,015 yards and 11 touchdowns on 65 receptions, despite battling injuries for the last half of the season.

Way earned a 3.49 GPA in UB's computer engineering program. Way had 58 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss and seven sacks on the year.

Zordich and Johnson, business administration majors, hold GPAs of 3.22 and 3.25, respectively. Weiser holds a 3.21 mark as a communication major.

Academic All-MAC honors are given to student-athletes who have a cumulative 3.2 grade point average (GPA) and have competed in at least 50 percent of competitions for their respective sport. First-year students and junior college transfers who are in their first year of residence are not eligible to receive the honor.

Email: sports@ubspectrum.com