Jock Jams

What are UB's athletes listening to?

Athletes all over are seen sporting their headphones - whether they're walking into UB Stadium, traveling or even relaxing during press conferences, it's a fashion icon these days.

But don't overlook their true purpose.

It's 20 minutes 'til game time, and how better to get prepared than listening to your favorite jams to get you hyped up?

Anyone who has ever played sports knows this: start listening to your favorite songs before a game and you get an instant rush of adrenaline, confidence and, most importantly, swagger. It puts you in the zone and gives you the focus to get ready to take on your opponent.

Everyone has their own preference as to what pumps them up. For me, it would be "Burn" by Meek Mill. I'm here to deliver what some of the biggest athletes around campus use to get live to before their big games:

Senior Matt Hogan, swimming: "Amazing" by Kanye West, "'Til I Collapse" by Eminem

"They put me in the right mindset before my races. You got to believe you're the best and going to win at that moment and the music really helps facilitate that."

Junior Javon McCrea, basketball: Gucci Mane

Freshman Rachael Gregory, basketball: Blake Shelton and Lady Antebellum

"I know this is surprising, but most of the time it's country. I like to listen to music that kind of calms me down, but if I do need energy, I'll listen to Drake, Rihanna or sometimes Katy Perry."

Senior Tony Watson, basketball: Drake

Senior Mark Lewandowski, wrestling: "A Country Boy Can Survive" by Hank Williams, Jr. or "God's Gonna Cut You Down" by Johnny Cash

"It's sort of how I was brought up. I was raised sort of that way, so it's what I relate to most. So that's probably what I feel most comfortable warming up to."