Curtains up for Christmas

In the midst of the holiday shopping frenzy, it's important to take time to reflect on why we're doing all this running around in the first place. Regardless of what holiday you celebrate, Buffalo is offering variety of holiday-themed shows that are sure to help you forget the stress and embrace the happy holiday spirit.

Play: The Nutcracker

Where: Shea's Performing Arts Center

When: Nov. 24-25

A classic holiday production with an instantly recognizable soundtrack, The Nutcracker is a perfect way to kick off the 2012 holiday season. The score was created by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky in 1892, and the show has been considered one of the most well-known ballet productions of all time ever since. The story revolves around a young girl named Clara and her nutcracker, which was given to her as a Christmas gift. As the play progresses, Clara learns there is more to the Nutcracker than just wood and paint, and as the magical journey progresses, audiences will find themselves happily along for the ride. Ticket prices range from $40- $85 and are available online.

Play: A Christmas Carol

Where: Alleyway Theatre

When: Dec. 6-16

There may not be another holiday show that encapsulates the holiday spirit as well as A Christmas Carol does. The Dickens classic tells the story of the miserable Ebenezer Scrooge, who realizes the value in celebrating the holidays after getting a glimpse into the past, present and future of Christmas. This year will be an especially important performance at the Alleyway Theatre because it marks the 16th and final year of playing Scrooge for actor John Smeathers. Tickets are currently on sale and range from $17- $30.

Play: My Mother's Italian, My Father's Jewish and I'm Home for the Holidays

Where: Shea's Smith Theatre

When: Nov. 7-18

Actor Steve Solomon will return to Shea's Smith Theatre this winter after a successful showing of his My Mother's Italian, My Father's Jewish and I'm in Therapy in May 2010. Solomon will take the task of portraying not only himself dealing with his dysfunctional family during the holidays, but his family, which includes his Uncle Willie, demented Cousin Kenny and his own therapist.

Play: The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

Where: Theater of Youth

When: Dec. 7-16

The Theatre of Youth will be holding its rendition of the popular children's book this December. The story revolves around Grace Bradley as she directs her church's annual Christmas pageant, which includes a cast of unruly children in the starring roles. The boisterous Herdman children steal lunches, beat up other kids and even smoke - a feat Bradley hopes to conquer.

Play: White Christmas

Where: Shea's Performing Arts Center

When: Dec. 4-9

Irving Berlin's White Christmas will finally make its stop in Buffalo this December. The play tells the tale of two friends who stage a show in a Vermont inn and find love in the process. The show is directed by Tony Award winner Walter Bobbie (Chicago), choreographed by Tony nominee Randy Skinner (42nd Street) and written by David Ives and Paul Blake. The show should be nothing short of amazing.

Emails: arts@ubspectrum.com