Senate awards grants to clubs

On Sunday, Oct. 21, the Student Association Senate met in Student Union 378 at 5 p.m. The senators granted a total of $3,418.50 to six Student Association clubs.

Each club had five minutes to present why they believed they should receive additional funding beyond their allotted budget. Senators granted the money from one of two lines: either the New and Innovative Programing line of $12,500 - for new projects or programming - or the Co-sponsorship line of $17,500 - for trips or re-occurring club events.

The Student Association of Speech and Hearing (SASH) requested $1,000 to help fund their trip to Atlanta, Ga. for an American Speech-language and Hearing Association Conference. Seven students from the club are going on the trip. Senator Michael Calliste said granting the club the money was a "no-brainer" and stated it would help build up UB's image as a research institute. The $1,000 grant was passed in 14-2-1 vote. The money is coming from the Co-sponsorship line.

The Multicultural Nursing Association is going to Nicaragua to help educate and care for the country's citizens. Six members of the club are going on the trip; they requested $1,000 to help defer the cost of airfare. The Senate decided to give $568.50 to the club because that amount equals giving each member going on the trip "back" their student activity fee of $94.75. The $568.50 came from the Co-sponsorship line and passed with 13-3-1 vote.

Students for the Exploration and Development of Space is holding SpaceVision 2012 from Nov. 8-11 at the Buffalo Niagara Convention Center. The event is held in a different city every year and is a national conference expected to draw 400 attendees. The club requested $1,500 and received $1,000 from the New and Innovative line in a 17-0-0 vote.

UB Sailing requested $720 to buy new pinnies - the ones they currently use are borrowed. They have 20 members but wanted money to buy 30 new pinnies. The club's performance allowed them to be eligible to go to more competitions than in previous years. This causes them to stack two events in one weekend, and they currently do not have enough pinnies to do so. The Senate granted them $450 from the Co-sponsorship line in an 11-6-0 vote.

The African Student Association requested $500 toward an annual banquet. The group was granted $200 to help supplement their budget to fund their Membership Appreciation Banquet. The $200 grant passed in a 12-5-0 vote from the Co-sponsorship line.

The Creole Student Association is throwing a Taste of Haiti on Nov. 17 and requested $200 to help fund the event. The group is a temporary club and therefore doesn't receive a budget from SA. The event will require guests to bring school supplies to send to Haiti. The $200 grant from the New and Innovative line was passed in a 17-0-0 vote.