Mission: Impossible?

Quinn looks for positive results in a crucial year for the football program

New attitudes, bold statements and a junior running back coming off the best rushing season in Buffalo's history.

College football is back in Western New York as the Bulls look to turn things around in year three of the Quinn era.

And it's starting with a bold guarantee.

"I see us winning a [Mid-American Conference] championship first and foremost, and winning a bowl game, whichever one we decide to go to," said senior defensive end Steven Means. "We have a great overall team. Our mindset is totally different than any other year that I've ever been here."

Last season was a dismal one record-wise as the Bulls were only able to muster three wins. But according to Quinn, there were a number of close games that could have dramatically changed the Bulls' season.

"I really don't pay too close attention to what people think of our football team," Quinn said. "I know what I think about our football team. We are constantly motivated. We look back at last year and we saw how close we were - we played the two best teams in the Mid-American Conference in Ohio and Northern Illinois, and we saw how close we were with those great football teams."

Two close losses in the MAC schedule - the aforementioned one-point loss to Northern Illinois, in which the Bulls were a missed extra point from forcing overtime on the eventual MAC champs, and a loss to Ball State after giving up a game-winning touchdown with 29 seconds left- could have changed the tone of the season.

Hence this year's mantra.

"UB is unfinished business," Quinn said. "We look back at last year, and we need to finish games. Be more consistent. Those are the little things we talked about with our football team."

The Bulls bring back 17 of 22 starters to the offensive and defensive units in 2012. Leading the charge are two players who have been getting national publicity following their individual 2011 campaigns.

Junior running back Branden Oliver is looking to improve after being named to the First Team All-MAC in 2011. The diminutive back bowled through opposing defenses all year, to the tune of a school-record 1,395 yards and 13 touchdowns. He has been named to prestigious watch lists, including the Walter Camp Award, an award given to the best overall player on offense and defense.

Teammates and coaches alike praise Oliver for his tenacity and his work ethic on and off the field.

"He's an enthusiastic guy," said offensive lineman Graham Whinery. "He's always there to help you out whenever you're down. You don't have to worry about him, because he's gonna do his job 100 percent, and that's what he wants out of us. That's how champions are made."

After a stellar ground game in 2011, Whinery has even loftier goals for the running backs in 2012.

"I think as a team we are trying to get over 2,000 [yards]," Whinery said. "It's a big goal, but it can be reached with the team that we have. It's definitely gonna happen this season."

Junior linebacker Khalil Mack led the Buffalo defense in 2011 with 65 tackles, 5.5 sacks and five forced fumbles. He will start the year on the sidelines, as he is suspended for the first game of the season due to a team violation. Senior linebacker Willie Moseley will replace Mack in the Bulls' opener against Georgia on Saturday.

This season will be a critical one for the Bulls. In 2010, they won only two games. In 2011, the win total increased to three. Despite a 5-19 record in the first two seasons, Quinn doesn't feel any added pressure to succeed this year, and he believes in the system he put in place over his tenure.

"I tell them all the time, we have a great system in place," Quinn said. "We have the right people. We have the plan. We are going to prepare our plan and we expect our players and coaches to perform. We have improved, and we didn't see the results. We need to finish. That's what success is about - consistency and performance, and our players are very mindful of that. The distractions and all those things, we will keep to the side."

A bold team, with bold words and big aspirations. The time to back up those statements starts Saturday in Athens.