Fall films preview

While drinking and class are some of the main activities that we engage in as students, they can take a toll on the body if practiced everyday. Catching a flick once in a while is good for the soul and winter is steadily approaching, so you have to be prepared and know when the good movies are dropping.

Resident Evil: Retribution

Release Date: Sept. 14

Rated: R

Director: Paul W.S. Anderson

Starring: Milla Jovovich, Sienna Guillory, Michelle Rodriguez, Kevin Durand

The Umbrella Corporation is back with its undead wildness and Alice (Milla Jovovich, Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D), once again, is not having any of it. If you're in the mood for savage beatings with random items such as pieces of plywood and baseball bats, this film will appeal to you. Also, watching Michelle Rodriguez (Avatar) go hard is always dope.

House at the End of the Street

Release Date: Sept. 21

Rated: PG-13

Director: Mark Tonderai

Starring:Jennifer Lawrence, Elisabeth Shue, Max Thieriot, Gil Bellows

With a mother and daughter moving into a new house, there always seems to be that neighbor with a questionable past. Jennifer Lawrence (Hunger Games) will captivate the screen, but this time as the victim of her strange neighbor and his mysterious home. House at the End of the Street will prove to be a thriller with the dirt gradually uncovered throughout the movie.

Looper

Release Date: Sept. 28

Rated:NR

Director: Rian Johnson

Starring:Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis, Emily Blunt, Paul Dano

A-List actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt (The Dark Knight Rises) now plays a futuristic mobster sent 30 years back in time to encounter and kill his former self. There are plenty of guns, dilemmas, and tough guy moments by Bruce Willis (The Expendables 2) to keep you entertained.

Taken 2

Release Date: Oct. 5

Rated:PG-13

Director:Olivier Megaton

Starring: Liam Neeson, Famke Janssen, Maggie Grace, Rade Serbedzija

This time it's Liam Neeson's (The Dark Knight Rises) wife who's being abducted. Abductors still, for some reason, don't understand that Bryan Mills (Neeson) is as tough as they come. There will be neck breaking, bullets flying and limp bodies - a must see.

Cloud Atlas

Release Date: Oct. 26

Rated:R

Director: Tom Tykwer, Andy Wachowski, Lana Wachowski

Starring:Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Hugh Grant, Hugo Weaving

Generations of people ranging from the past, present, and future affected by consequences are masterfully put into picture with an all-star lineup.The notion that our actions shape our destiny is so simple, yet so complex, that it gives so much room for this film to blossom. The film goes through the lives of four individuals throughout time and shows how their actions impact one another.

Fun Size

Release Date: Oct. 26

Rated:NR

Director:Josh Schwartz

Starring: Victoria Justice, Johnny Knoxville, Chelsea Handler, Ana Gasteyer

When a high school legend invites two teens to a house party everything seems to be shaped to his favor. All is good until Wren (Victoria Justice, Victorious) finds out her mother is going to a Halloween party as well and leaves her home to watch her brother. Justice decides to go out anyway, and in turn loses track of her brother, which leaves the audience to watch the hilarious events leading to his return while possibly finding true love in the process.

Lincoln

Release Date: November 9

Rated: NR

Director:Steven Spielberg

Starring:Daniel Day-Lewis, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Jared Harris, Tommy Lee Jones

A biographical film on the 16th President of the United States and how the North was led to victory during the Civil War. With a director like Steven Spielberg (War Horse) and the superb cast, this will shape out to be a great and informative film.

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2

Release Date: Nov. 16

Rated:NR

Director: Bill Condon

Starring: Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, Taylor Lautner, Ashley Greene

Now that Bella (Kristen Stewart, Snow White and the Huntsmen) is anewly appointed vampire, she and Edward (Robert Pattinson, Cosmopolis) can now successfully have their relationship. However, when false allegations circle their daughter Renesmee, the Cullens must band together to protect their baby. Expect plenty of red eyes and glittery skin that girls love and open field battles that'll distract dudes from the love story.

Life of Pi

Release Date: Nov. 23

Rated:NR

Director:Ang Lee

Starring: Suraj Sharma, Irrfan Khan, Adil Hussain, Tabu

Life of Piwas derived from a novel of the same name. The film follows an Indian boy who is shipwrecked in the Pacific and is only accompanied by a hyena, zebra, orangutan and a tiger. Throughout the film, Pi (Irrfan Khan, The Amazing Spider-Man) will explore spirituality and practicality, all while struggling to survive. The novel has already been critically acclaimed, and considering the profoundness seen in trailers, the film should follow in the same direction.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Release Date: Dec. 14

Rated: NR

Director: Peter Jackson

Starring: Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, Richard Armitage, Andy Serkis

Lord Of The Rings fans will finally see where it all started. The movie follows a young Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman, What's Your Number) through his past journeys and adventures and gives answers to some occurrences in previous Lord of the Rings installments. The same creatures and characters appear in this film, but this time dragons and giants are incorporated as well. This film serves as closure to all things Lord of the Rings, so make sure you catch this one.