Tuesday, May 14, 2024

$20.12: Eat Affordably During Restaurant Week

Local Restaurant Week kicked off this past Monday in an effort to celebrate Western New York culture, strengthen the Buffalo community, and stimulate the local economy, according to localrestuarantweek.com. When WNY began the annual event in the spring of 2009, there were 60 participating operators and, just three years later, that number has increased to around 200.

For only $20.12 - usually tax and gratuity is excluded - each participating restaurant will be offering a special meal. Some offer a dinner for two while others promote a dinner for one. There are restaurants that offer drink specials as well - like a bottle of wine with your meal or two pints of beer with an appetizer.

With the plethora of restaurants, there's something for everyone. Here are five participating restaurants that are a great place to stop by on your culinary taste tour of Buffalo:

Shango

This New Orleans-style restaurant is right on Main Street, making it easily accessible to UB students. "Shango embodies the spirit of a true neighborhood bistro - offering a light, fun atmosphere paired with serious food and drink," according to its website.

For $20.12, Shango is offering a dinner-for-one promotion. The meal comes with a soup or salad, a choice of one entr?(c)e, and a choice of dessert. For the entr?(c)e, Shango gives specific options: steak, mashed sweet potatoes, and green beans, or Ahi tuna, shrimp, jambalaya and arugula, or you have the option of macaroni and cheese with shrimp and Andouille.

One of the other specialties that Shango offers is its wine list, which won the Wine-Spectator award and holds 170 different bottles. Shango also stresses its carefully hand-selected beer menu - offering both imported and domestic.

So if you're looking for some New Orleans-style cooking and great wine, Shango is the place for you this Restaurant Week.

Towne Restaurant

The Towne Restaurant, located on the corner of Elmwood and Allen, has been around for 40 years. Its motto - "no pretentions, just good food" - highlights the atmosphere of the restaurant. It's welcoming and comfortable, with a hint of Mediterranean feel.

"Towne Restaurant is a favorite of many Western New Yorker's because the atmosphere is informal and it has a diverse mix of clientele," according to localrestaurantweek.com.

For $20.12, Towne Restaurant is offering a dinner-for-two promotion, or you can add a bottle of wine for a price of $40.12 (again tax and gratuity is excluded).

If you're looking for Greek, American, and Italian specialties while eating in a relaxed atmosphere, Towne Restaurant is a good option.

Blue Monk

Although Blue Monk can be considered relatively expensive for many UB students, it is well worth the price. Proudly named after blue-robed Belgian monks known for brewing the world's finest beer and the jazz pianist Thelonious Monk, according to Blue Monk's website, Blue Monk is known for its delicious and extensive - albeit pricey - beer menu.

The Restaurant Week special is not available on the website, but the food is well worth the promotion surprise. Try the poutine for an appetizer - basically, it's cheesy fries with duck meat and gravy. If you're looking to have your mind blown, get them.

The restaurant's entrees are varied as well. It serves a Reuben sandwich filled with duck meat, putting its own unique twist on a classic sandwich. Baked mussels are another good option - cooked with spinach and bacon - that is served with gratin. Both meals are good choices and that is just a small percentage of the menu.

Casa Di Pizza

Down on Elmwood, Casa Di Pizza is a local fan-favorite restaurant. It's been owned and operated by the Jacobbi family since 1953, which sometimes purposely vents their ovens near the street so the aroma stretches down Elmwood, according localrestaurantweek.com.

For $20.12, Casa Di Pizza is offering a dinner-for-two special. Included are a side salad, bread and butter, two entrees, and dessert. For the main meal, guests have a choice of artichoke pasta, chicken/eggplant/veal parmesan, chicken cacciatore, baked lasagna, cheese ravioli, gnocchi, fettuccine alfredo, mussels, baked penne, battered haddock, and battered shrimp.

Casa Di Pizza is one of the restaurants featured during the week that have a great variety of choice. If it's Italian food that your taste buds are watering for, Casa Di Pizza won't leave you disappointed.

Chocolate Bar

The restaurant, located on Chippewa, is known around Buffalo as being super expensive and super delicious. "Combine our incredible drinks, a sexy, hip atmosphere, a trendy location, and that's the Chocolate Bar," according to localrestaurantweek.com.

Chocolate Bar is offering a dinner-for-one special that includes: caesar salad or soup, a glass of champagne or wine, choice of one entr?(c)e, dessert, and a long stemmed rose. For your main meal, the restaurant offers a couple of choices: fettuccine with roasted poblano, bacon, and shaved chocolate, pesto salmon on puff pastry with tomatoes, basil pesto with lemon b?(c)chamel sauce, or you can opt for pecan crusted chicken with citrus salsa, corn, sweet potato fries, and maple dipping sauce.

Although it is relatively expensive, Restaurant Week is the best time to try out Buffalo food when you're battling your budget. Also be sure to participate if you're looking for a romantic date-night spot without spending too much money.