A Hairy Situation

Should men look sculpted and hairless, or beastly and furry? Do women want smooth or manly? UB students face this quandary every day.

While some are willing to hold a razor up to every inch of his or her body to sack the one they desire, others refuse.

In a society where the television show Jersey Shore has implemented a "Gym, Tan, Laundry" mentality, grooming starts up top. For many, a fresh cut is the most crucial step toward proper hygiene.

While some girls find themselves more attracted to shaved men, others prefer the shaggy look.

"Some people can look grungy and it's cool, but some can't and then it looks like they're homeless," said Megan Syrell, a freshman environmental engineering major. "Some body hair is nice. I don't want a guy who looks like a baby, but I don't want a jungle either."

Teresa, a UB student who chose not to use her last name, agreed with Syrell and said there's a fine line.

"I think some guys can pull off facial hair, while others look better clean cut," Teresa said. "Especially during our time at college, there are two different kinds of guys: 1) That showers three times a week and goes to class looking gross and doesn't shave, and the 2) Being a guy who works and is looking for a job in his future and likes being clean cut."

Rosanne's Hair Shop, located on North Campus, is one of the most convenient options for students. The salon offers an atmosphere of vintage crossed with modern. A normal hair cut starts at around $21 and a buzz is $18. The shop also offers edging, color, beard trimming, and facial waxing for the guy looking to get the whole package.

For a more old school environment, guys can get a cut right outside North Campus at Atillio's Barber Shop on Millersport Highway. For $14 a head, Atillio's offers all styles and straight razor finishes from a cast of guys who have been in business in Buffalo for a long time.

On South Campus, students can visit ICONZ Hair Design or Attitudez, which are just two of several barbershops located right by campus on Main Street.

According to Joe Malak, a freshman biomedical science major, Buffalo Trim in East Amherst is a cut above the rest when it comes to salons for men.

"My hair gets cut every three weeks and it usually comes out to around $20 with the tip," Malak said.

Malak attempts to stay fresh with his hair and his scent collection of creams and colognes. As a guy who enjoys going out to parties and getting the ladies, Malak sticks to a routine to show that he can care for himself and ultimately for his potential sweetheart.

"Typically I want a clean shave on the face and everywhere else that matters before I go out," Malak said. "I don't get chest or stomach hair, even though most people in my family have it."

While some go for an approach that shows attention to detail, other guys let it all grow out. Surely the more free-spirited girls of UB can appreciate a grizzly lumberjack of a man, but it takes a certain breed.

"Italian men are hairy beasts – I am one of them, and I feel manly with my hair," said Jacob Geraci, a freshman biological sciences major. "I would put most men to shame with my hairiness. I like having a beard and I only get my hair cut every three months or so. I tried shaving my chest once, but the next day it was all back. My bare chest was just a dream."

Geraci says he occasionally gives his body hair a trim, but he never really worries about it and doesn't flaunt his body much in the first place.

Regardless of which path guys take – hairy or hairless – they have ample resources at UB. Around North and South Campus, there are places for guys to get whatever cut they desire – whether they're looking for an extensive cut or just a trim.