"Bulls Beat Kent St, Lock up Playoff Berth"

The women's soccer team spent the whole of last season in the Mid-American Conference cellar. The Bulls (11-4-4, 4-3-4 MAC) were outshot, outran, and outplayed by their opponents the entire year, as they finished the season at 1-16-2 (0-9-2 MAC).

When they were beaten by Kent State (12-7, 6-5 MAC) 7-1 in the season finale, it was clear that they've finally hit rock bottom after years of struggle.

But last Thursday, the Bulls made one thing clear: this is a new season, and this is a new team.

Buffalo finished off an incredible 2011 season in style and beat the Golden Flashes, 1-0, at UB stadium on Thursday.

The win clinched Buffalo's first MAC tournament berth since 2003. After winning just one game in October, the Bulls rallied to win their final two games to punch their ticket to the playoffs.

The Bulls' win over the Golden Flashes bookends a 10-game improvement from last season, the most in Division-I women's soccer. Head coach Michael Thomas is very proud of this achievement.

"It's a big accomplishment for us," Thomas said. "You never want to be satisfied by anything other than winning the conference. But when you were in a drought like we have, we felt like we have fought uphill all season. I'm just so proud of the girls for coming out and getting it done."

Buffalo defeated Kent State using what it prided itself on all season long – shutdown defense. The Bulls' were imposing, and only allowed the Golden Flashes one shot on goal in the first half.

Although their efforts were not reflected on the stats sheet, freshmen midfielders Courtney Mann and Jackie Hall frustrated the Kent State players time after time. They fought for every ball on defense and on offense, while finding ways to keep the Kent State defense off balance with timely passing and ball control.

Kent State turned up the pressure in the final 45 minutes, and made six more shots with five on goal. But sophomore goalkeeper Ainsley Wheldon stepped up much like she has the whole year and made six saves for her 10th shutout of the season.

Buffalo rode the last two matches on late-game dramatics, but this time its game-winner came in the first half. In the 36th minute, Hall beat a tackle to send the ball to freshman forward Katie Roberts. Roberts then outmuscled two Kent State defenders in the box to blast a shot to the right of Kent State goalkeeper Kelly Sherwood for her sixth goal of the season.

While Roberts' goal was the only one in the game, Buffalo continuously put pressure on the Golden Flashes. The Bulls attempted 12 shots in the first half, and finished the game with 18 to end the regular season on a high note.

The Bulls have been training for this year ever since Kent State ended Buffalo's last season with a blowout. According the Thomas, this win was a culmination of everything they've worked for since then.

"Players win games," Thomas said. "The girls came back and committed last year, and competed hard through a snowy January and February. They showed up at 7 a.m. and trained hard every day, and accomplished some things that they didn't know they can accomplish."

This is not the last the Bulls have seen of the Golden Flashes, as they will face off again in the opening round of the MAC tournament. Wheldon, who ends her season at second in the nation in saves (132), says as long as her team sticks to the game plan, it should have no problem beating Kent State for the second time.

"We [executed the game plan] to perfection and we got the result," Wheldon said. "If we do [it] again we should have no problem beating this team. I'm not saying that they're not a good team, but we are a good team as well. If we do what we need to do, we'll win."

The Bulls will play Kent State on Sunday at Zoeller Field. The game is slated to start at 1 p.m.