Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Falcons Stun Bulls on Late Goal

The defense of the women's soccer team found its kryptonite last Friday.

The Bulls (7-2, 0-1 Mid-American Conference) hosted Bowling Green (4-6, 1-0 MAC) to open up MAC competition. Buffalo held the Falcons scoreless in the first half, but Bowling Green forward Alyssa Zuccaro took command and scored two goals in the second half to put the Bulls away, 2-1.

Zuccaro, who earned a hat trick in last year's 4-0 victory against the Bulls, scored her first goal of the game in the 64th minute. She settled the ball at the top of the penalty box and shot it over the head of sophomore goalkeeper Ainsley Wheldon. It was Buffalo's first allowed goal in four games.

Head coach Michael Thomas still has a lot of faith in Wheldon.

"She would like to have that one back but she made a save in the first half that absolutely kept us in the game, and goalkeepers just need to have a short memory," Thomas said. "She has been good for us all year and we expect her to come out [next game] and be good for us."

Zuccaro struck again with just over a minute left in regulation. She took a pass from the midfield, then snaked through the Buffalo defense to slip a goal past Wheldon for the eventual game-winner.

The Bulls couldn't get anything going after senior forward Aubrey Stahl scored her first goal of the season 45 seconds into the game. Bowling Green barely allowed any passes past the midfield, and dominated ball possession.

The Falcons outshot the Bulls by a staggering 23-6 margin.

Thomas was not willing to blame the rainy conditions for the team's lack of offensive output.

"Both teams were playing in the conditions," Thomas said, "We just didn't get a 90 minute effort from them. We got up early and decided to take a big second of the game off, and we were punished for it."

The Bulls still managed to maintain a one-goal advantage going into the half, partially due to Wheldon's performance. She made 14 saves on the night.

Two players went down with injuries in the loss. Sophomore midfielder/defender Courtney Gross and sophomore midfielder Lauren Coviello both suffered lower leg injuries during the game. Coviello was eventually wheeled off on a cart by the training staff, and the injuries' severities were unknown.

Read Wednesday's edition of The Spectrum for coverage of Sunday's game against Miami (Ohio).

Email: sports@ubspectrum.com