Dreaming in Denim

Fashion Focus

Here in Buffalo, the weather has recently taken a turn for the chilly. This means that it's time to put away the shorts and skirts of summer and break out your trusty jeans. But don't spend the entire season in your favorite blues – mix it up a little and grab one of fall's latest denim offerings.

One of fall's hottest denim trends this year is the flared jean. Say ‘see you later' to your skinny jeans and opt for a change. Following the wave of '70's style that's been exploding on the runways, flares are the perfect way to get your fashion groove on.

The big sister of boot-cut jeans; flared jeans are still fitted on the waist with just a little extra oomph at the bottom. You can keep things simple with a T-shirt, go all-out with a voluminous jacket or super-flowy top, or do it up hippie style with the right accessories and loads of floral.

Menswear-inspired fashion is also a huge trend this fall, and the denim equivalent to that is the boyfriend jean. Combining style and comfort, boyfriend jeans are the best of both worlds. This cut has been around for a few seasons, but their relaxed vibe is keeping them around for another. Balance yours with a fitted top, and cuff them to show off your fresh fall shoes.

Maybe the neon trend of summer is over for now, but bright colors aren't totally out of the picture. Jeans make the transition to fall with an array of colors, from bright red to mustard yellow (one of fall's ‘it' colors). Neutral shades make a great pairing with colored skinnies, but if you're feeling adventurous, color-block your look with a top in an appropriate hue.

A cardinal fashion rule used to be no white after Labor Day, but that is all out the window. White jeans are making an impact, and you can wear them all year round. A pair of these will make you stand out in a good way, and the good news is they go with anything, literally. White skinny jeans can be tough to pull off, but if you can wear these, you can wear anything.

And if you've already got enough pairs of jeans to outfit your entire hallway, you can satisfy another denim craving with a classic denim shirt. A different way to wear denim, shirts can give your outfit extra depth when layered over a simple shirt, and provide a relaxed contrast to a fancy skirt. For serious fashion points, try doing denim on denim – as long as you promise to not wear two pieces in the same wash.