Wednesday, May 08, 2024

Can't Understand Why

It's been a while since something really affected me emotionally. Working in journalism sort of numbs you to the horrible things that can happen in the world.

When I first read about the death of Jamey Rodemeyer, I struggled to hold back tears. To think that a 14-year-old boy felt he had no other way out or a way from bullies other than taking his life truly pained my heart.

I literally can't stomach that we live in a culture where people torment others to the point of suicide. That peer pressure and close-minded attitudes rule in the hallways of high schools across the country.

I went to Williamsville North High School for a portion of my high school years, and I didn't last very long. I couldn't deal with any more after only three short month, and looked elsewhere to finish my education.

While enrolled at North, I did meet many nice people – my wife actually went to school there even though we didn't meet until many years after we had both left. I still have friends to this day that went to school there and enjoyed their time there. But I wasn't in the least bit surprised when I found out Jamey went to North.

The school – at least when I attended – seemed very segregated, and if you didn't fit into a section of the accepted groups, I could only imagine the kind of treatment kids received. I didn't stick around long enough to find out just how bad things could get.

I am a heterosexual male and I have absolutely no idea what it would be like to battle through the coming out process, but I can imagine how much harder it would be with a group of my peers making me hate myself for it. The teenagers that drove Jamey to suicide have his blood on their hands, and that's something that can never be undone.

If this horrible tragedy doesn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that being gay or bisexual is not a choice, I really can't fathom what would. A child killing himself to get away from a "choice" doesn't make a bit of sense.

To borrow a quote from Jamey's inspiration and hero while on this earth, Lady GaGa, "You Were Born This Way." If everyone in America could learn to accept people for who they are, this sort of behavior would cease to exist.

The courage that this boy showed throughout his life is a testament to him, his friends, and a family that must be reeling and overwhelmed with sadness.

We can't keep allowing this to happen to the youth of this country. We can't continue to let kids believe that treating others with hate is acceptable. Parents have to be better, schools have to be better, and society has to be better.

We can't afford to lose any more Jamey Rodemeyers. He had too much to give and too much life left to live.

Email: matthew.parrino@ubspectrum.com