Sunday, April 28, 2024

An Uncertain Future

The future of television is weird. Some might even call it an odd future.

The members of Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All will continue their multimedia campaign as their show Loiter Squad recently got picked up by Adult Swim.

Loiter Squad is this generation's Jackass. The show is even produced by Dickhouse Entertainment, which is owned by Jackass stars Johnny Knoxville, Jeff Tremaine and director Spike Jonze.

Less than a year ago, Odd Future was practically unknown. In that span the band has amassed a colossal cult following, sold out an east coast tour in less than 10 minutes, and even had one of their members win a VMA for best new artist.

But have Odd Future become famous for its music or for its antics? Most people would agree with the latter. And this show just reinforces that belief.

Odd Future is known for its dark twisted lyrics and belligerent acts. From encouraging a riot in Boston to calling out numerous pop icons in its music, Odd Future has a reputation of hatred and angst.

At this point, Odd Future has sold out and seem to be just cashing in anyway they can. This show is going to be very similar to the prank shows that have been a staple in MTV's line up for years.

It seems weird to me that this show finally was picked up after Tyler, the Creator won the VMA. No one wanted to touch it before but now that Tyler is a household name, the show gets green lighted.

The only difference between Loiter Squad and the countless other prank shows is that the collective is going to try and do some sketch comedy.

This is the intriguing part about the show, whether or not the band has enough collective creativity to produce sketches that are both relevant and not over the top, which would turn a lot of people off of the show.

The collective might possess a lot of musical talent, but that does not mean that they can make a decent TV show.

Loiter Squad is an opportunity for Odd Future to make its warped lyrics into picture. This has the potential to be the most demented show on Adult Swim.

Odd Future might be getting a show to do pranks and sketches, but you can find the group doing the same thing in any of its Youtube videos, 24 hours a day.

For anyone that is familiar with Odd Future, or follows its leader Tyler, the Creator on twitter, knows that the band likes to flirt with the line of comedy and demeaning statements. Often times the things said or done by the group are scrutinized by the media.

The show might be on Adult Swim, but is TV ready for the abrasive styling of Odd Future? While all the wit and darkness might be good in music, the twisted minds of Odd Future might be a bit too wicked, even for Adult Swim.

Email: jameson.butler@ubspectrum.com