Sunday, April 28, 2024

An Uplifting Party Plan

Artist:Red Hot Chili Peppers

Album:The Uplift Mofo Party Plan

Label: EMI, Capitol

Release Date:Sept. 29, 1987

Grade:B+

One band encapsulated the entire culmination of LA's funky, alternative stylings and ingrained itself forever in the alt-rock pantheon. This band was Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Before John Frusciante's melodic composing and Hillel Slovak's death threatened to break up the funk, RHCP was one of the most original bands to ever hit SoCal. Now, years later,The Uplift Mofo Party Plan is a testament to a time in music history long past.

The album's flagship track, "Fight Like a Brave," sets the musical scene for the entire CD. This song would go on to be a rock anthem for all who suffer from addiction — even though lead singer Anthony Kiedis would relapse only a few years later. Its infectious bass riff and stellar chorus secure it as one of the best songs the band has ever produced.

As the album progresses RHCP break out their signature funkadelic-rock sounds, only rivaled by the likes of George Clinton and his eclectic collective Parliament Funkadelic. Of note, "Me and My Friends" has the instrumentals and triumphant force that the band has worked feverishly to revisit ever since.

Flea's legendary slap bass stylings reverberate through the next few tracks, thrusting forceful funk into the listener's mind and solidifying the iconic revelry of a band on the edge of society.

Like any well-remembered CD, the musical landscape is drastically altered just when the listener settles into the band's comfort zone. This hallowed feature comes in the form of "Behind the Sun." The combination of Hillel Slovak's stunning sitar and Flea's funk riff expertly blend together to produce a sound unlike anything the Chili Peppers have ever tried.

The band derives much of its current style from this time period, making The Uplift Mofo Party Plan the launching point for their recent work.

Email:arts@ubspectrum.com