This Paper Airplane Refuses to Fly

Artist: Alison Krauss and Union Station

Album: Paper Airplane

Label: Rounder Records

Release Date: April 12

Grade: C-

Great vocals, the sweet sound of an acoustic guitar, and lyrics filled with deep spirituality do not quite produce a hit album these days. These ingredients mixed in the wrong proportions can still bore listeners to tears, as Alison Krauss and Union Station proves with Paper Airplane.

The group opens its first album since 2004 with the title track. It intrigues listeners with Krauss's soft, smooth, country voice, backed by emotional lyrics, but unfortunately this is as good as the album gets.

Listeners are tricked into thinking that the tracks pick up further into Paper Airplane with "Dust Bowl Children," which uses the music of a mandolin to create a bluegrass feel.

Dan Tyminksi, who shares lead vocals with Krauss, is the voice of this song. Completing the bluegrass theme, the lyrics speak about growing up during the Dust Bowl – not a particularly uplifting subject.

After these two tracks, the album is full of monotony. Listeners hear the same sweet-toned voice of Krauss on all but three songs, while she sings to only slightly varying melodies. Singing of love, forgiveness, and spirituality, the album has great intentions, but chances are listeners will miss these themes.

It takes a certain audience to appreciate this mix of country tunes and bluegrass rhythms. Song titles like "Lay My Burden Down" and "Sinking Stone" do not create a positive vibe for this album. The only positive coming from it is that Krauss still has the amazing voice she's been presenting to listeners for years.

After the disappointment of this album, listeners who were waiting for Krauss to reunite with Union Station will most likely be ready to let this band float to the back of their minds. This Paper Airplane is not as skillfully crafted as it needs to be in order to fly in the right direction.