Not Quite the Best of Foo

Artist: Foo Fighters

Album: Wasting Light

Label: RCA

Release Date: April 12

Grade: B-

Despite all the hype, anticipation, and speculation that has surrounded Wasting Light, this latest offering from David Grohl and company is far from the best of Foo.

The Foo Fighters' first album since 2007, Wasting Light, was recorded over a period that marked a number of changes for the band, including the return of rhythm guitarist Pat Smear as an official member. Though its lineup may have changed, Foo Fighters' music hasn't, and this is both the blessing and the curse of Wasting Light.

Kicking things off is "Bridge Burning," a typical Foo Fighters track that boasts a great hook, a catchy chorus, and more than enough of Grohl's recognizable voice to go around. The track has a certain momentum to it, and makes for an excellent introduction.

The next song, "Rope," instantly saps any of that residual momentum. An unfortunate choice for the album's first single, "Rope" is an uninspired track built around a repetitious guitar riff that quickly wears out its welcome and a chorus that fits poorly with the rest of the song.

"Rope" proves to be more the exception than the rule, though, as most of the album's 11 tracks are pretty solid. "White Limo," the fourth track, is a surprisingly heavy fairing by Foo Fighters' standards that takes the edge off when necessary with yet another well-placed catchy chorus. "Miss the Misery" boasts a great 6/4 riff, while "Walk" ends the album with a note of optimism.

Though the album contains a few duds — the self-consciously poppy "Arlandria" comes to mind — the greatest flaw of Wasting Light is the stagnation it seems to represent. The album lacks both the ambition of 2005's In Your Honor and the touch of maturity that Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace brought in 2007, and in many ways seems like a step backward. Though there are several good tracks on Wasting Light, not one of them pushes the band's envelope.

Though falling back on established formulas isn't necessarily a bad thing, it isn't a good thing either. Ultimately, Wasting Light is an album just this side of mediocre from a band that can do a lot better.