UB Council Convenes

Norton Medal nomination made, Holm honored, Resolution passes

On Monday morning, the UB Council met for the first time since Satish K. Tripathi was recommended to be UB's 15th president.

Chairman Jeremy Jacobs spearheaded the meeting, which addressed the recommendation of Officer in Charge Tripathi, the 2011 Norton Medal nomination, and the resolution in support of tuition policy and reforms from SUNY Chancellor Nancy Zimpher.

Dr. Edmond J. Gicewicz, a member of the UB Council, nominated JoAnn Falletta, music director of the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra, for the 2011 Charles P. Norton Medal. The Norton medal is presented annually and is UB's highest award as it recognizes an individual who has "performed some great thing which is identified with Buffalo." Falletta was considered "one of the finest conductors of her generation" by The New York Times, according to her website.

Tripathi issued a resolution to name the second floor of the Commons at The New York State Center of Excellence in Bioinformatics & Life Sciences the Bruce A. Holm Commons. Holm, a SUNY Distinguished Professor and key figure in research to develop high-technology and life-sciences research in the Western New York region, died Feb. 9 of kidney cancer.

Additionally, Vice President Marsha Henderson presented to the UB Council Zimpher's resolution in support of the following reforms:

• A rational tuition policy that is fair, predictable, and responsible

• A slate of efficiency provisions that will create savings and increase the efficiency and effectiveness of current business practices while maintaining appropriate checks and balances and moving SUNY in line with other public higher education institutions across the country

• Authorization to pursue public/private partnerships in order to leverage much-needed private sector capital so colleges and universities across SUNY can realize the fullness of their respective missions.

The council unanimously supported the resolution. Remarks were made by Student Representative Joshua Boston regarding recent and upcoming student protests, and closing remarks were made by Tripathi. The next meeting will be held on Monday, June 13 at 8 a.m. in Capen Hall. Each meeting is broadcasted live at www.buffalo.edu/ubcouncil.