This ain't no speed trap

Artist: Beady Eye

Album: Different Gear, Still Speeding

Label: Dangerbird Records

Release Date: March 1

Grade: B+

When a band titles its album Different Gear, Still Speeding, it might be assumed that it has recorded before. While Beady Eye may have just put out its debut album, the members are definitely shifting gears.

The members of Beady Eye have recorded before, although they used to be known as Oasis. With the exit of band member Noel Gallagher, the remaining four members of Oasis became Beady Eye. Different Gear, Still Speeding is perfectly titled, as the "gear change" refers to the band's new name, and "speeding" shows that it is still moving full-speed ahead.

English rockers Liam Gallagher, Gem Archer, Andy Bell, and Chris Sharrock began recording Different Gear in 2009. What they produced is a mix of upbeat, alternative sounds strung together with a few soft ballads, some of which give off a strong Beatles vibe.

No one can really compare to the Beatles, but Beady Eye does pay homage to the group with their own sound. The band has the old-time rock ‘n' roll feel reminiscent of The Beatles' classics. Although it's not a classic yet, Beady Eye's "Beatles and Stones" shows the band's respect for both The Beatles and The Rolling Stones.

"Well it beats me mama / I just want to rock and roll / I'm gonna stand the test of time / Like Beatles and Stones," Gallagher sings.

With lyrics such as these, it is apparent to listeners that Beady Eye plan on being around for a while. They have already made their mark as Oasis, but Beady Eye is going to continue to do so, starting with Different Gear, Still Speeding.

It's Gallagher's signature whine and smooth vocals that create the overall feel of Beady Eye's music. It adds to the emotion found in the band's lyrics. This is most evident on the track "The Roller."

"You didn't know what to say / It all came at you today / Can't get out your own way / Well hold on, hold on, hold on," Gallagher sings.

Aside from rhyming and being rather poetic, "The Roller" has the right lyrics to reveal the emotion of the artists. These characteristics add to the energetic and catchy beat of the song.

"Standing on the Edge of Noise" does just what the title implies with Gallagher's muffled vocals, a quick beat, and a classic-rock vibe.

Adding a splash to the conclusion of the album is "The Morning Son." It opens with the sounds of birds chirping and waves crashing before the vocals begin. It's an unexpected twist for listeners when they arrive at the end of the album.

Beady Eye's Different Gear, Still Speeding is going to sound familiar, but it's the perfect album to help you slip away to your own oasis.

E-mail: arts@ubspectrum.com