Sexsmith's Boring Inspiration

Artist: Ron Sexsmith

Album: Long Player Late Bloomer

Label: Ronboy Rhymes

Release Date: March 1

Grade: C

He's 47 years old, on his 12th album, and almost unheard of. Ron Sexsmith really must be a late bloomer.

This Ontario native has created a laid-back vibe with his controlled and smooth vocals on his new album, Long Player Late Bloomer.

"Get in Line" sets the tone of the album with a steady, calm background beat and a denial of negative thoughts.

"Heavy clouds are hanging around and sun refuses to shine/If you're bent on bringing me back down, better get in line," Sexsmith sings.

Lyrics with the same "you can't bring me down" attitude are scattered throughout Sexsmith's soft melodies. This isn't far from his previous albums, as he's often sung of optimism in defeating depressive feelings.

Sexsmith embraces ill feelings to produce hopeful lyrics as opposed to falling into a submission to them. "Love Shines" follows suit with a similar guitar-filled sound.

"In every nowhere town/ There are somewhere dreams," Sexsmith sings.

In no way can this singer/songwriter be brought down. He turns every negative into a positive, creating a hopeful message for all listeners. Unfortunately, these optimistic lines may be dismissed not far into listening to one of his songs.

As inspiring as Sexsmith may be, there's no energy or excitement to his music. Perfect for an afternoon slumber or as background music to a daydream, Long Player Late Bloomer doesn't deliver anything more than a soft tune to relax to.

With the help of producer Bob Rock, who worked with Metallica, Motley Crue, and the Cult, Sexsmith's newest songs are supposed to have a stronger feel and lyrics. While the overall meaning to his album is clear, listeners still won't be satisfied with the lack of punch it provides.

Fans, be inspired by what Long Player Late Bloomer has to offer. Just grab some coffee or a Monster beforehand; it's going to be needed.

E-mail: arts@ubspectrum.com