Scouting Miami (Ohio)

2010-11 Record: 15-14 (10-4 Mid-American Conference)

2009-10 Record: 14-18 (9-7 MAC)

All-Time Series : Miami (Ohio) leads 19-7

Last Season: The teams split the regular-season series (73-55, 73-62). The RedHawks beat the Bulls in the MAC Tournament (73-59).

Players to Watch:

JULIAN MAVUNGA (Jr. Forward)

Mavunga is the total package as far as big men in the MAC are concerned. He can score from anywhere on the floor, he's athletic, and he can defend. He's averaging 14.8 points, 7.6 rebounds per game and has 81 assists to lead the team.

The scary part about Mavunga is that he's stepped up his game since entering MAC play. He has a hunger for winning and does whatever he can to make sure his team does just that.

"He's a guy that you can't back down from, otherwise he'll keep you backing down from him. He'll hit just enough threes to make you come out there and guard him but operates around the low post. He'll get a defensive rebound and bring it down the court. Now, your center is trying to get down the court and he has to find [Mavunga] and here he comes leading the break. He's a unique guard for most big guys…You have to really be alert with him because he's looking for every opportunity to do what he wants to do."

-Reggie Witherspoon

NICK WINBUSH (Sr. Forward)

Winbush is the Redhawks' second leading scorer and the veteran leader of the team. He has started all 29 games for his team this season and continues to be a steady force for them.

He's the most prolific 3-point shooter for the RedHawks, accumulating 60 deep balls on the year. His versatility will wreak havoc on the Bulls if he's allowed to roam around.

The senior scored 15 points against the Bulls earlier this season and grabbed five rebounds in Miami's victory.

Keys to Game:

BUFFALO

- Must force turnovers. The RedHawks turn the ball over at an alarming rate and rank last in the MAC in turnover margin (3.93) and second-to-last in assist-to-turnover ratio (.77). Senior guard Byron Mulkey is the MAC steals leader and must be the catalyst for an active defensive effort for the Bulls.

- Finish strong. The Bulls' struggles in the second half recently have been well-documented in this issue. They must find a way to sustain their effort in the game and close things out. Buffalo is 14-2 when it has the lead with 5:00 remaining and is only 1-8 when trailing.

- Hit the glass. Nothing new here. When the Bulls outrebound their opponent, they generally win, holding a 14-5 record in those games. Miami isn't a very strong rebounding squad, so losing this battle could lead to a loss.

MIAMI (OHIO)

- Defend the three. The Bulls have been almost unbeatable at home this season, and it hasn't hurt that they tend to shoot the lights out at Alumni Arena. In 14 games, Buffalo is shooting 55 percent from the field and 43 percent from 3-point range. This is up from its MAC-leading 49 percent from the field and 40 percent from distance for all games this season. If Miami can't slow down the Bulls' shooters, it could be a long day for RedHawks head coach Charlie Coles.

- Turn the game into a marathon. The RedHawks have to find a way to silence the crowd and get the Bulls out of a rhythm that they've been in all season at Alumni Arena. Buffalo tends to get up early and settle into its half-court offense. If Miami can't turn up the pace of the game, it won't be able to keep up with the Bulls.

- Outsmart Reggie in his house. This is a one of the elite coaching matchups in the MAC, and both guys have a lot of respect for each other. Coles is going to have to outcoach Reggie on Wednesday night and find a way to limit the production of junior guard Zach Filzen. Not many teams have been able to cool off his hot shooting at Alumni Arena, and if Coles can find a way to stop him, the RedHawks have a good shot in the game.

Prediction:

It's senior night, and the crowd at the Arena should be rocking. I am going with the Bulls because it's a must-win game and they're arguably the best team in the MAC at home.

Mulkey is going to be a maniac in this game and should get everybody in attendance out of his or her seat. The emotions will be high, and the Bulls have proved that they rise to the occasion under those circumstances.

BUFFALO - 86

MIAMI (Ohio) - 69