When Worlds Collide

Grade: B+

In a universe where comic book heroes battle against video game juggernauts, the one true winner is the player.

It's been 11 years since Capcom last voyaged into the crossover universe of Marvel vs. Capcom, and it's been well worth the wait. With a gameplay style that's easy to learn and hard to master, Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds is guaranteed to have players picking up their controllers for match after match.

The first thing players are likely to notice upon booting up their systems of choice is how stunning the visuals of the game are. Through the use of some spectacular cel-shading on Capcom's part, MVC3 is capable of capturing an authentic comic book feel.

Each of the characters in the game possesses a distinct pen-and-ink feel. For team Marvel, this is no surprise, as its origins are rooted in the various colored inks. The Capcom characters, however, come from a vast array of titles, each with its own artistic approach, yet, somehow, the game manages to create a uniform feel for each character, and no one ends up feeling out of place.

Though nice to look at, artistic style and graphics are far from the most important aspect of a game. Fortunately, MVC3 manages to also capture an addictive and engaging gameplay experience.

A match in MVC3 is made up of two teams of three. Players are allowed to mix and match teams from the two universes to create their own personal dream teams. With 36 characters to choose from, MVC3 offers up hundreds of combinations that keep the game feeling fresh, even after logging several hours of playtime.

It's hard not to be drawn into the fierce and action-packed battles. Each of the characters is more or less balanced to keep each match an even battle. Everyone is capable of unleashing devastating combos and graphically stunning specials that are sure to drop more than just a few jaws.

One of the most impressive aspects of the fighters, however, is the way each of their unique fighting styles amplifies their personalities. Everything from their battle stance and attacks to their custom banter gives them authenticity in keeping with their various backgrounds.

One of the best examples of this is Deadpool. In his comics, Deadpool is sarcastic and psychotic, and he often breaks through the fourth wall. It's no different while playing as him in the game. He moonwalks, talks to the player, and laughs maniacally while simultaneously kicking, punching, slicing, shooting, or blowing up his foes.

The game isn't perfect, though. A few flaws and neglected areas keep this good game from being an amazing one.

The biggest drawback to MVC3 is its lack of game modes. Arcade style is present, allowing players to test their might against computer-controlled teams. There is also a versus mode for players who'd prefer to test their prowess against some real flesh and blood. Apart from that, though, there's not much else.

There's a training mode that allows players to practice against teams that don't fight back in order to hone their skills, but it gets old fast. In addition to this, there's a challenge mode that essentially teaches players how to master character combos, and it feels more like an expansion of the training mode more than anything else.

It would've been nice if Capcom had thrown in survival or time-attack modes to give players multiple ways to play the game, but there's no saying it can't remedy this flaw through the use of downloadable content.

Despite its deprived game mode variety, MVC3 still manages to be a knockout and is a necessary play for any fan of the fighting genre.

E-mail: arts@ubspectrum.com