UB Closes in Anticipation of Severe Snowstorm

The University at Buffalo announced that all day and evening classes are canceled Wednesday due to the impending snowstorm. Essential employees must still report to work.

This is the first time that UB has closed due to adverse weather conditions since the 2006 October storm ravaged Buffalo, causing power outages on South Campus and throughout the region. It may come as an alarm to students that UB would announce this closure before the storm's first flakes dusted the ground, but university officials believe this was a necessary measure.

"The decision was made out of caution based on the weather reports," said John Della Contrada, the assistant vice president for media relations.

Paul Vecchio, the senior associate athletic director, also reported that tomorrow's National Signing Day Event and men's basketball game versus Toledo are being rescheduled.

This storm is expected to be the most widespread of the season, with heavy accumulation in Western New York and across the state, David Zaff, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service out of Buffalo, told Channel 7.

"As far as snow totals go, we are looking for anywhere from eight and 16 inches Buffalo to Rochester and north, and much less further to the south," Zaff said.

Areas south of Buffalo won't be seeing as much snow, Zaff reported, but they could face a mix of snow and freezing rain.