Local Standouts Headline Quinn's Recruiting Class

With the 2010 season in the rearview mirror, the football team has set its sights on the future.

Head coach Jeff Quinn announced the 2011 recruiting class in the Center for the Arts on Thursday night. The coaching staff has brought in 20 young players to provide the program with new athletes to move forward with.

The class is comprised of individuals from every position on the field and represents 10 different states and two Canadian provinces. Quinn could not be more pleased with the way the class came out.

"From top to bottom this is as solid a class as we have ever signed here," Quinn said. "My focus over the last 12 months has been to sign a group of young men at every single position [and we did that]."

Quinn was especially proud of the success the program had with retaining players who made early commitments to the program. There are many cases in college football in which players change their minds after making initial decisions about where they will play. The ability to avoid this only makes a team stronger.

The crown jewel of the group is local phenom-quarterback Joe Licata. Licata was one of the first players to commit to the Bulls in the fall. In his final year with Williamsville South, he set the Western New York all-time record with 87 career touchdowns and won the Connolly Cup, which is awarded to Western New York's top high school player.

The young gunslinger also set school records for passing yards in a game (492), season (2,573), and career (6,671). He is ranked as the 79th best quarterback in the nation by ESPN.

Quinn believes that Licata will be a great fit, not only for the football program, but also for the university as a whole.

"He's a tremendous young man," Quinn said. "He wanted to stay close to home. His sister is a graduate of [UB] so [he's] quite familiar with the university and our values."

Licata is not the only recruit to have previous ties to the university. Quinn and his coaching staff also secured a commitment from Niagara Falls running back Dale Stewart. Although most students at the university may not recognize his name, they probably know his older brother, James Starks.

Stewart was an all-around skill player for his high school squad. He was predominantly used as a running back, but he also started at quarterback, wide receiver, defensive back, and kick returner. He was also an All-Western New York selection this past season.

Stewart's versatility will be a dangerous weapon for the Bulls when he sees the field, but the first step is to decide which position he will actually play.

"[Stewart] is going to be in a big skill position," Quinn said. "He is going to be someone we to want to distribute the ball to. My defensive coaches have been fighting for him to be a defensive back but…[he] is going to be on the offensive side, being a running back first, as well as special teams."

The biggest question when it comes to new recruits is how soon they are able to contribute to their teams. This group of athletes has the potential to be incredibly successful at the university, and the coaches are willing to let them start as soon as possible.

Six true freshmen started for the Bulls in 2010, and Quinn expects that number to increase if the new Bulls show that they are worthy.

"We expect all of our young men to come in and compete right away," Quinn said. "I've always said to these young men when they come on campus, ‘I don't redshirt before the year starts.' I don't believe in that. I expect that this class can come in and play early."

The fans will have to wait until September to see these athletes in regular season action, but if Quinn's excitement is any indication of what is in store, the True Blue Nation will have plenty to cheer about.

Football Recruiting Class 2011

Player Position Hometown

Jesse Back OL Cincinnati, OH

Marqus Baker DB Tampa, FL

Gabriel Barbe OL Montreal, QB

Robert Blodgett OL Lima, NY

Khari Brown LB Upper Marlboro, MD

Mike Brown DB Pickerington, OH

Wyatt Cahill DL Tempe, AZ

Patrick Clarke PK New Castle, DE

Tony Daniel QB Hiram, GA

Joe Felicia DL Marcellus, NY

Dillon Guy OL Hamilton, ON

John Kling OL Cheektowaga, NY

Joe Licata QB Williamsville, NY

Kyndal Minniefield DB Daphne, AL

Kendall Patterson DL Abingdon, MD

Dale Stewart RB Niagara Falls, NY

Brandon Tammaro LB Plymouth, MI

Anthone Taylor RB Huber Heights, OH

Matt Weiser TE Womelsdorf, PA

Ron Willoughby WR Avon Lake, OH

E-mail: sports@ubspectrum.com