For the Love of the Holiday

James Twigg

Love. It's funny how many different feelings that small four-letter word can evoke from us. It's intangible and indefinable, yet somehow we all know it when we feel it. There's nothing else quite like it in the world. So it's only natural that there should be a day devoted to it and to those who are able to help us capture it. Valentine's Day is that day. It's the time of year our creamy nougat centers are allowed to leak through our hard outer shells and we can let our significant others know exactly how we feel. Every one of us deserves a day to make us feel special and gooey. I know you're all thinking that's what anniversaries are for, but I disagree. Valentine's Day is a day for all couples, whether they've been together for 10 years or just 10 days.

I'm well aware that there are those out there who don't share this sentiment. There are those jaded and cynical few who believe Valentine's Day to be a commercialized holiday created with the sole intent of generating some extra green. Granted, over the past couple decades it may seem that this has become the case, but at its core, Valentine's Day is still about love. Pope Gelasius created the holiday in the year 469 A.D. and I very much doubt that at that time the Pope was concerned with the amount of Hallmark cards, flowers and chocolates sold. No one ever said that shelling out dough is a requirement for a happy Valentine's Day. Sure, the stereotypical gifts include a dozen roses, a heart-shaped box of chocolates and a sappy card, but they aren't necessities.

If money is your biggest gripe with the holiday, then try doing something from the heart this year. Make your own card and craft your own gift. I guarantee you that, deep down, your partner will love this far more than an overused gift that will eventually wilt and die anyway.

Also, try cooking your own dinner instead of heading out to a restaurant. Set up a nice table and get some champagne, because, let's face it, that's far more romantic than sitting in a noisy, overpriced restaurant for an hour and a half.

Valentine's Day has the potential to be one of the best days out of the entire year. All it takes to make it special is a little bit of effort.

I guess in the end, what I'm saying is that I'm a believer. Call me a sap, a wuss and whatever else you want, but I truly do believe in love and what it stands for. It's for that reason that I will be celebrating Valentine's Day this year and for many more years to come.

E-mail: james.twigg@ubspectrum.com