Engineers Week

It's that time of the year again – National Engineers Week is upon us. Engineering majors and members of the 15 various engineering clubs at the University at Buffalo have a chance to exhibit their creativity and skill publicly this week, culminating in the Academic-Engineering Ball on Saturday evening.

Engineers Week is "a national event scheduled each year, which serves to celebrate and call attention to the contributions that engineers make," said Dan Pastuf, the engineering coordinator who manages the engineering clubs at UB.

Each club will be competing to be named the winner of Engineers Week. First place receives $600, while second and third receive $300 and $200, respectively. Everyone is welcome to join the various competitions held throughout the week, but those who wish to participate in events that require preparation should contact Pastuf or the group organizing the specific event.

Some of the major events of the week include egg dropping on Monday from noon until 2 p.m., building a spacecraft out of Legos on Tuesday from 10 a.m. until noon, and building a machine on Thursday from 10 a.m. until noon, all of which take place in the Student Union lobby.

The highly anticipated Botwar tournament, scheduled for Friday at 10 a.m. in the SU lobby, is the last of the tournaments. Robots that each club has created will fight against one another in a one-on-one match until the ultimate winner is declared.

"At the end of the competition, we do a match with all of the remaining bots thrown into the rink for fun," Pastuf said.

Engineers Week will formally end on Saturday at the Niagara Marriott Hotel with the Academic-Engineering Ball, held right between Engineers and Academic week.

"[The Academic-Engineering Ball is] one of the longest running formal student events that is at UB. ‘E-Ball' has records of going on during the 1950s," Pastuf said.

This year's ball features a casino theme. By purchasing a $20 ticket at the SBI ticket office or $25 at the door, students will receive dinner, dancing and casino activities and play money for games like Blackjack and Poker. There will be a cash bar for those 21 and up.

"Toward the end of the night, individuals will trade in their play money for raffle tickets in which they can enter to win great prizes," said JoAnna Datz, the Academic Council Coordinator and a student in the School of Management. "We are very excited for AE Ball and encourage all students, not just members of the Academic and Engineering Councils, to attend."

For more details on the schedule of events, visit sa.buffalo.edu/events/55.

E-mail: features@ubspectrum.com