"A Culture of Rhythm, Diversity, and Joy"

Despite the absence of Nick Cannon, Drumline Live still managed to bring the noise and the swagger.

The Center for the Arts hosted Drumline Live Wednesday night, as an audience of hundreds watched 40 musicians and dancers from several colleges of the Historically Black Colleges and Universities perform their way through African-American musical history.

Drumline is a masterful and multi-faceted show that traces the origins of African-American culture. The show takes the audience through the days of Motown, gospel and big band, and fuses them with current pop culture.

The show began with the act "Africa," as dancers adorned in African garb paid homage to traditional African dances, flowing into the second act, "Drum Major/ Shout It Out." As thunder and lighting dramatically introduced the entrance of the drum major, he proved he deserved the entrance as he kept the performers in perfect rhythm throughout the duration of the show.

These performers provided the perfect blend of sound, balance and camaraderie as they engaged the audience from the very start. The band possessed the natural ability to unite the audience and create a community of viewers as they got to their feet and sang.

"Music connects everyone together; everyone danced and enjoyed," said Annette Parker of Buffalo.

The medleys of Diana Ross, Tina Turner, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, and James Brown were recreated during the act "American Soul," as the passionate voices of these performers mimicked the singing that these legends engrained into popular culture.

Throughout the entire show, the viewers connected to the performers. One even became part of the performance, as an audience member was selected to sing "My Girl" by the Temptations.

The energy of the performers rubbed off on the older members in the audience, who sang and rejoiced to the songs that exemplified their youth, almost out-singing the performers on stage with their enthusiasm and nostalgia.

"That was crazy. It made me feel young again. All the different generations they went through on stage, it reminded me of… back in my day," Parker said.

During the "Midnight Magic" aspect of the show, the younger audience members had the chance to sing and connect to the performance as well. Songs such as Usher's "OMG" and Justin Bieber's "Baby" merged classics with pop in a unique and entertaining way.

"I went to school here in Buffalo. I felt like part of [the show]. [The show] keeps the blood going and lets you know that you're alive," said Aviance Campbell of Buffalo. "I wish I had this experience when I was in college."

Connecting yesterday and today, The King of Pop's iconic music found its way into the setlist with "Beat It" and "Billie Jean," as Michael Jackson's famous dance moves elicited uproarious applause from the audience. As the first act came to a close, pop was replaced by the classic sounds of gospel.

Naturally, no drumline show would be complete without a drum battle. As one drummer completed an entire drum roll with one stick, another soloist balanced and juggled the sticks while maintaining a steady beat, displaying both artists' skills simultaneously.

The night rounded out with renditions of the sounds of Ella Fitzgerald and Miles Davis and also included an impressive dance number. As the audience members gave a standing ovation, the performers proceeded to the lobby, where they mingled with the audience while continuing to entertain with their joyful playing.

The performers graciously thanked the audience members for coming to the show as they were walking out, and left the audience members with great memories of one of the most energetic, cultural, and spiritual shows to grace the CFA stage.

E-mail: arts@ubspectrum.com