Sidekick Carries Superhero Flick

Grade: B-

In a time filled with movies like Iron Man 2 and The Dark Knight, The Green Hornet is one superhero flick that doesn't take itself too seriously, and that's exactly what makes it work.

Based on the radio show and TV series of the same name, The Green Hornet follows the life of billionaire playboy Britt Reid (Seth Rogen, Funny People) and his transformation into a vigilante after his father passes away due to a fatal bee sting. Under the guise of the Green Hornet, Reid, along with his expert martial artist partner Kato (Jay Chou, True Legend), sets out to clean up the streets of Los Angeles.

While this may sound like a rather clichéd storyline for a superhero movie, The Green Hornet manages to distinguish itself by breaking many of the traditional hero stereotypes.

First of all, the Green Hornet and Kato don't try to pass themselves off as superheroes; in fact, they do just the opposite. Whereas most heroes make their intentions clear, this crime-fighting duo makes itself out to be criminals so enemies don't harm innocents.

It's a concept rarely seen in this genre, but it's a welcomed addition that works perfectly for this film, as is The Green Hornet's take on the hero-sidekick relationship.

From Batman's Robin to Obama's Biden, it's a widely accepted fact that sidekicks never quite live up to the legacy of their mentors. Kato, however, manages to surpass the Hornet in nearly every way imaginable. He builds the weapons, makes the costumes, and is the source for the vast majority of action that takes place throughout the film.

Even the cinematography surrounding Kato is an impressive aspect of the film. During his fight scenes, the camera work is clearly at its best. The fight will start from a first-person perspective in which Kato identifies the threats, followed by slow-motion rotating shots of him executing a series of lethal blows to his opponents with perfect precision.

What really sells Kato as a character, though, is Chou's performance. He's able to be serious and dramatic while also being a great source of comic relief throughout the movie. Unfortunately for the film, the other characters in The Green Hornet don't quite live up to their potential.

Rogen's portrayal of Reid is exactly what moviegoers have come to expect. His character, while funny, comes off as dimwitted and feeble without the help of his supporting cast. Standing on his own, Rogen would be unable to carry the film and, needless to say, The Green Hornet isn't a big step in his acting career.

Though the writing for the film is surprisingly impressive and capable of drawing more than just a few laughs, the villain of the movie, Chudnofsky (Christoph Waltz, Inglorious Basterds), feels severely underdeveloped.

Due to his limited screen time, the character lacks the motivation and backstory necessary for creating an authentic feel. Ultimately, there's just not enough there to make him an iconic adversary.

While Chudnofsky is missing in development, Waltz more than makes up for it with his delivery. Each scene featuring him is just as hilarious as the last, and his awkward yet frustrated presentation makes him one of the most likeable bad guys in recent movie history.

Poorly developed characters aside, The Green Hornet isn't a half-bad adaptation as far as remakes go. The cast and crew manage to stay loyal to source material while also being able to put their own spin on it.

All in all, The Green Hornet is a superhero film that opts for more comedy and less drama when compared to others in its genre. It's entertaining enough to hold the viewer's attention but at the same time doesn't make any big strides as a comic book film.

E-mail: arts@ubspectrum.com