Sharing is Caring

Album: Mine is Yours

Artist: Cold War Kids

Label: Downtown Records

Release Date: Jan. 25

Grade: A-

With major album drops from Vampire Weekend, The Black Keys, and Arcade Fire, there is no denying that 2010 was the year of the indie kid. 2011 will be to punk music what 2010 was to indie music.

Luckily for the masses, Cold War Kids can help bridge the gap between these two genres. Cold War Kids have made a name for themselves by making soothing, bluesy indie-punk. Their new album, Mine is Yours, will take the band to new heights.

Upon first listen, it is apparent that this is not the same sound that radiated from the band's first two albums. A cleaner sound and a higher production value deliver a reverberation that entrances the listener.

The opening title track does a prolific job foreshadowing the direction that CWK wanted to take the album. Heartfelt lyrics about giving everything for someone you love are accompanied with gut-wrenching instrumentals.

Early on in the album, CWK shows the potential the band possesses. "Royal Blue" demonstrates how well-crafted their lyrics are. The song talks about an Achilles' heel that is very common: letting someone into your life.

"From now on fly as high as I want/ From now on I'll show my weak spot/ From now on in all that I do/ From now on call me Royal Blue," belts frontman Nathan Willett.

CWK did a great job hiding the gems in the middle of the album. As the album progresses, songs like "Finally Begin" and "Skip the Charades" grasp the listeners and get them to move along to the beat with ease.

While Mine is Yours engages the listener throughout much of the album, there are a few low points. Songs like "Louder Than Ever" and "Sensitive Kid" seem a little repetitive, and Willett's voice flirts with being annoying.

When the album begins to wind down, that's where the band's nostalgia comes into play. The last handful of songs, most notably "Cold Toes on the Cold Floor," are reminiscent of the Cold War Kids of old. This brings Mine is Yours to a rejuvenating conclusion.

Mine is Yours might have a few minor kinks, but those are overshadowed by the great songwriting and exquisite instrumentals that are much more abundant on the album.

E-mail: arts@ubspectrum.com