Peace Up and Deuces

David Sanchirico

It is a Spectrum tradition for outgoing seniors to write one last column to cap off their tenures. Usually, these banal pieces reiterate the cliché statements your mom has told you throughout the years.

But no soap box is required for this rant. I'm not going to preach and give you life lessons; believe me, if you are taking life lessons from me, you're not off to a good start.

And there's no need for me to write a melodramatic synopsis of my "emotional" journey at UB. I have enjoyed the best nine semesters at the best school in the country, one that the best kids in the United States attend.

With all the complaining we all do, it's easy to forget how great this place is. At the same time, we forget how awesome (most of) UB's 18,000+ undergraduates are, even though we're surrounded by ill-informed students who complain about how cold it is while wearing pajamas, T-shirts and slippers outside.

It's too easy to bitch and moan about everything here. The clouds and gloom that darken our university from November to March negatively affect our emotions, and we usually react by complaining about someone's poor taste in music or someone else's idiotic Facebook status that no one should actually care about in the first place.

I know I've spent too much time doing the above, most recently regarding the stupid Facebook number questions game. (Seriously, stop it.)

Everyone seems to worry how I'll do now that my Van Wilder stint at UB is over. I plan to enter the so-called dying field of journalism, one that's saturated with aspiring sportswriters who are relegated to writing not-for-profit blogs. Most of my friends who graduated last year tell me post-college nightmares of living off Ramen and living with parents again.

It all sounds so awful, but those who are friends with me should know I'll be OK. It's because I "chill." I also listen to Jimmy Valvano's words of wisdom, which include the three things everyone should do every day: laugh, think, and cry. If you do all three of those things – bros, substitute something for crying – then you won't be able to find any reason to complain about Buffalo's dull and cold days.

Back on subject, who knows what will happen once my diploma is mailed and my time here is done? I could either end up on ESPN or in my parents' basement playing Xbox all day. I'll either end up with a beautiful, smart wifey who challenges me to be the best man I can be, or I'll be the creepy guy poaching off hoodrats at The Steer when I'm 32.

But there's no need to worry, because no matter what, I'll still flash that Sanchirico smile and tell those corny Uncle Dave jokes. It's just my nature to be happy and make others smile. I thank my parents for that; they are the ones who always told me to basically say "F it" to the trivial dramas in my life, because complaining over some shorty just isn't worth it.

So with this, I say farewell. I've left enough writing, vomit and other fluids on this campus. I look forward to seeing this school prosper under UB 2080, and I hope to see many of my classmates making all sorts of marks in their respective fields.

E-mail: david.sanchirico@ubspectrum.com