Dashing Through the Streets

Buffalonians dashed through the cold streets of Buffalo in the 16th annual 5K Reindeer Run on Saturday hosted by Medaille College.

The Reindeer Run began at 10 a.m. at the Humboldt Rail Station on Main Street. The runners continued onto Delavan Avenue to Delaware Avenue and finished at the Forest Lawn Cemetery. From the cemetery, runners made their way east toward the finish line on Main Street.

The first 525 runners to register received a complementary quarter-zip wind jacket. The cost to register at the event itself was $24, and proceeds went toward the Medaille College athletic program.

"It's a great way to get everyone together, get some exercise, and raise some money. Not to mention the food and music is always pretty good," said Robert Absalom, a sophomore environmental science major and Reindeer Run participant. "This year I convinced a few of my friends to run with me."

Awards were given to those who finished in the top 10 percent of their categories. Following the race, participants were invited to attend an after-race party, located at the Medaille College Kevin I. Sullivan Campus Center. The party featured music, food and beer. Non-runners and families were encouraged to attend the after party for $5 in holiday attire.

In addition to the after party, the New York Institute of Massage offered free five-minute massages.

"The after party is pretty fun. I met a lot of different people and made new friends. There are free massages every year, which is pretty awesome," Absalom said. Those looking to get involved and make a difference can donate old running shoes and sneakers to the Hearts for the Homeless foundation.

E-mail: features@ubspectrum.com