Top 10 NBA Draft Busts

Jacob Laurenti

In honor of Greg Oden's perennial season-ending injury, I have compiled the top-10 NBA draft busts of the last 10 years. While I feel it is unfair to view Oden as a bust this early into his career (he is still only 22), the success of Kevin Durant makes it very hard. However, there have certainly been a good amount of busts, and without further ado, here is the list:

10. Mateen Cleaves

Cleaves had a lot of hype surrounding him after leading Michigan State to a national championship in his senior season. However, Cleaves is now an analyst for the Detroit Pistons after being waived by three different teams over the span of his career.

9. Darius Miles

Although there was not much talent in this draft class, Miles has to be on this list. The guy was a coach's nightmare and was a key component of the infamous "Portland Jail Blazers." After continued knee and substance-abuse problems, Miles is now out of the league.

8. Shelden Williams

Atlanta thought it was getting a solid big man with the fifth overall pick in Williams. Instead, Williams isn't even better at basketball than his wife, Candace Parker. What makes it worse is that the Hawks could have had Brandon Roy and an unguardable backcourt.

7. Eddy Curry

I was unfortunately forced to watch this player increase in weight and decrease in production. Curry was drafted fourth overall by the Bulls in 2001. Despite shooting 100 percent from three-point range in his career (no, seriously), Curry has been unable to rebound, defend and stop eating throughout his career. He is currently taking up three seats on the Knicks bench and isn't expected to play anytime soon.

6. Stromile Swift

The only reason Swift isn't higher on this list is because there was no other player that the Grizzlies could have realistically drafted. Marcus Fizer? Chris Mihm? Demarr Johnson? The entire 2000 draft class should be on this list, but Swift was an extreme disappointment. He now plays for the Shangdong Lions of the Chinese Basketball Association. ‘Nuff said.

5. Nikoloz Tskitishvili

The Nuggets thought they were getting the next Dirk Nowitzki and passed up on Amar'e Stoudemire to do it. Tskitishvili played parts of four seasons in the NBA, never averaging more than four points per contest.

4. Jay Williams

Williams changed his name to Jay to avoid confusion with NBA players Jayson and Jason Williams. Guess that was unnecessary. After an inconsistent rookie season, Williams tore three ligaments in his left knee in a horrific motorcycle crash. He was subsequently waived and never played another game in the NBA.

3. Adam Morrison

Who would have thought that Morrison, Co-Player of the Year in the NCAA in 2006, would be out of the league in four seasons? Clearly not the Charlotte Bobcats. Michael Jordan drafted Morrison with the third overall pick in 2006. He proceeded to lose his starting job midway through the season and tear his ACL the following year.

2. Kwame Brown

When people talk about draft busts, Brown is usually the reference point. Coincidentally, this was another Jordan selection. Brown was the first overall pick in 2001, and he never lived up to the hype. His career stats of 6.7 points and 5.4 rebounds per game are only a small reason why Brown was such a bust. He also had continued legal problems and has repeatedly stated that he doesn't care about basketball.

1. Darko Milicic

Milicic is definitely the biggest bust of the decade. Not only is he a terrible player, but the Pistons passed up on a number of great players when they drafted Darko with the second overall pick in 2003. The fact that Milicic was drafted over Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade pretty much seals him as the worst draft pick in the last 10 years.

E-mail: jacob.laurenti@ubspectrum.com