Swim Team Washes Niagara

The swimming and diving team hosted Big Four rival Niagara on Saturday afternoon at Alumni Arena.

The men's team (4-0) continued its perfect season and beat Niagara (1-3), 152-85. The women's team (2-2) also earned a victory, dominating the Purple Eagles (2-6, 0-1 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference), 146-90.

On the men's side, sophomore Josh Meints continued his great season by sweeping the competition in both of his freestyle races. Meints swam an impressive 1:46.16 in the 200-yard freestyle and finished the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 4:53.20.

Senior Kenny Rhoades continues to improve. He set a season best in the three-meter diving event with a total of 363.60.

"Kenny is coming on beautifully," said head diving coach Karla Helder. "I've only had him for two years, but we've packed a lot of work into that time. Our divers improve every week and are at a very competitive level."

The women's swimming squad, with strong performances by junior Alie Schirmers, sophomore Karly Moore and freshman Ava Giachino, swept Niagara for the meet to even its season record.

The women's diver that performed best at the meet was Giachino. She won both the one-meter springboard dive (231.95 points) and the three-meter dive (268.90 points.) to add to the win column.

"We're adding new dives every couple weeks," Helder said. "Both Ava and Kenny train very hard in the off-season in order to keep improving."

The men's and women's diving teams will get ready to travel across the country to compete in the University of Arizona's annual Wildcat Invitational next weekend.

E-mail: sports@ubspectrum.com