A Rocking Halloween Eve

You don't need costumes, candy, or cups of beer to have a good time on Halloween. Sometimes, all you need is a little rock.

On Saturday night, the streets were alive with the constant stream of costumed college students. Ranging from the simple Batman to the ironic slutty angel, alter egos were in abundance.

The spectacle of the night, however, wasn't found in the masked crowds roaming the roads. The true entertainment lay within the dingy and dimly lit bar of Broadway Joe's on Main Street.

Within the confines of the tiny venue, the five-piece band known as Autopunch anxiously awaited its chance to take to the stage. When the time came and the band members finally donned their instruments – and their masks in recognition of the holiday – Autopunch gave the crowd a performance that showed off the sheer skill that each member brings and the level of enjoyment they have while playing.

Autopunch hails from the Queen City and consists of five members. Dan Burkhardt spouts lyrics as the band's lead singer, Tom Bowers and Dan Wallace make up the band's guitarists, Luke Hammill lays down the bassline, and Dan Sheppard runs the sticks as Autopunch's drummer.

Together, the individual members of the group are able to craft a jam band of impressive proportions, capable of rocking alongside the best Buffalo has to offer.

The band kicked off its set with a new number titled, "This Harsh World." The song radiated with energy and set the precedent for the rest of the show. Every song boomed through the speakers and showcased Autopunch's level of skill with their instruments.

"They always put on a good live show," said Kevin Sheehan, a senior business and finance major. "They don't really make many mistakes, and they always bring a lot of energy."

Of all the members in the band, though, it was Bowers and Hammill that gave the liveliest performances.

During the set, it was almost as if Bowers was being played by the guitar and not the other way around. The more exhilarating the notes played were, the more animated and entertaining Bowers would become.

Similarly, Hammill was unafraid to jump, dance and groove in time with his bass. With every movement made, Hammill added that much more to Autopunch's stage performance and overall appeal.

Unfortunately for the band, the set fell on only a few eyes and ears. The crowd consisted of a small handful of fans and a few regulars at the bar.

"[The worst part was] the lack of a crowd there," Sheehan said. "Broadway Joe's is a small venue so it really wasn't the best place to see them."

The inconsiderate staff members who were more interested in intimidating the fans than actually making sure they had a safe and fun time only made this worse.

"The bouncers were awful. I think the personnel at the facility was a little unfriendly and a little unwelcoming," said Chris Zonneville, a junior exercise science major.

Despite the small crowd and unsettling employees, Autopunch still gave the show full effort and failed to let up even for a second. From beginning to end, the band pumped out song after song and made sure to have fun while doing it.

This was never as evident as it was during Autopunch's cover of Metallica's "For Whom the Bell Tolls."

During the cover, the band was in full swing, with each of its members becoming more and more enslaved by the metal. The only downside to the performance was Burkhardt's vocals.

The singer's voice was a bit too soft for a Metallica cover. This was easily forgiven, though, as the band doesn't traditionally play metal music, and living up to Metallica singer James Hetfield is no simple feat.

All in all, Autopunch's show was one of the best local sets Buffalo has seen in a long time. At the same time, however, it was also one of the most underappreciated.

With the music scene continuing to spit out cookie-cutter bands, it is shameful that a lack of attention is given to a band as original and genuinely talented as Autopunch.

Full disclosure: Luke Hammill is a Managing Editor for The Spectrum.