Niagara Falls to illuminate in pink

The Canadian and American cities of Niagara Falls will turn pink this Thursday for the first-ever International Pinktober Living Ribbon event, which will span across the Rainbow Bridge.

The Hard Rock Café and the American & Canadian Societies are joining hands with American and Canadian breast cancer survivors to find a cure for breast cancer. Downtown Niagara Falls, N.Y. will illuminate in pink at the waterfall itself, the Hard Rock Café, Old Falls Street, and the Seneca Niagara Casino & Hotel.

Sue Swiatkowski, the sales and marketing manager for the U.S. Niagara Falls Hard Rock Café, is hoping for at least 500 people to participate in the event.

"About 200 people have pre-registered, but we are hoping for a big increase in registration on the day of the event. Anyone with an interest in the cause can register and will receive a pink Hard Rock t-shirt that will form the actual living ribbon on the Rainbow Bridge," Swiatkowski said.

After the Living Ribbon Assembly, a free outdoor concert will be held in Niagara Falls, N.Y. on Old Falls Street at 8 p.m. The concert will feature Five for Fighting with special guests Tone Damli and More Than Me. The Kings will play at 10 p.m. on the Canadian side after the concert on the American side is finished.

Ribbon registration costs $20 and is open to everyone. Participants may register online at www.hardrockcafe.com or in person before the event. The official living ribbon formation will be at 7 p.m. The concert is free and open to the public.

E-mail: features@ubspectrum.com