Tuesday, May 14, 2024

NBA Preview: Pacific Division

Los Angeles Lakers

Additions: Matt Barnes, Steve Blake, Devin Ebanks, Theo Ratliff

Losses: Jordan Farmar, Josh Powell

The defending champs are back and better than ever. As if he even needed it, five-time NBA champion Kobe Bryant has another challenge to motivate him - the Miami Heat.

Everyone is talking about Miami's "Big Three" and their inevitable rise to the top spot in the league. Bryant may have something to say about that come June. The Lakers lost Jordan Farmar but replaced him nicely with veteran Steve Blake. They added another shut down defender in Matt Barnes and are going to be hell for opposing offenses.

PREDICTION: First in Pacific (67 – 15)

Phoenix Suns

Additions: Josh Childress, Hedo Turkoglu, Gani Lawal, Hakim Warrick

Losses: Amar'e Stoudemire, Leandro Barbosa, Louis Amundson

Since Amar'e Stoudemire took his talents to the Big Apple, the Suns are left without an identity. The signing of Hedo Turkoglu was a solid attempt to get something to fill the void, but there is nothing about the two that is similar on the court.

Steve Nash, however, still makes this team a playoff contender, but with several up-and-coming teams in the division, he will have his work cut out for him. Josh Childress is an interesting addition as he returns to the NBA after playing two seasons overseas. His growth could be the difference between the playoffs and the lottery for the Suns.

PREDICTION: Second in Pacific (43 – 39)

Golden State Warriors

Additions: David Lee, Louis Amundson, Dorell Wright

Losses: Kelenna Azubuika, Raja Bell, Corey Maggette, Anthony Randolph, Ronny Turiaf

The Warriors have one of the most exciting young talents in the league in Stephen Curry. Along with Monta Ellis, the two youngsters form a very quick and potent backcourt that Golden State will depend on this season.

David Lee is an immediate upgrade at the power forward position, and Louis Amundson brings toughness and grit off the bench. If the Warriors can somehow find themselves a good defensive small forward that can score, this is a sure-fire playoff team. In the meantime, the team should compete for the final spot in the West, but with so many talented teams, another pick in the lottery seems to be in its future.

PREDICTION: Third in Pacific (38 – 44)

Los Angeles Clippers

Additions: Al-Farouq Aminu, Eric Bledsoe, Randy Foye, Ryan Gomes, Willie Warren

Losses: Steve Blake, Drew Gooden, Travis Outlaw, Brian Skinner, Ricky Davis

The Clippers are a very interesting team. They are young and have a plethora of players at the guard position. If one or two of them can develop into a consistent contributor this season, the Clippers may have a shot to be a surprise team. If Baron Davis can stay healthy and be the player he was before his injury problems, he will form an excellent pair with Blake Griffin, who is back after missing his entire rookie season due to injury.

Griffin alone will make the Clippers competitive. However, the team will probably struggle early this season, and Clipper fans will be forced to watch another bottom-feeder. But with another top pick in next year's draft, the Clippers will all of a sudden be a perennial playoff team.

PREDICTION: Fourth in Pacific (31 – 51)

Sacramento Kings

Additions: DeMarcus Cousins, Samuel Dalembert

Losses: Spencer Hawes, Ime Udoka, Andres Nocioni

The Kings drafted a big man with a big attitude in this year's draft – DeMarcus Cousins. He has had some issues with immaturity, but when he is on the court and focused, his talent is undeniable. If he blossoms into the player experts expect him to become, he and Tyreke Evans will torment the NBA for a decade.

Unfortunately for Kings fans, this team is nowhere near where they need to be to start competing in the West. The team lacks role players and a shooter on the wing. Defensively, the Kings will struggle to stop most teams and they will eventually need to add a small forward that can play on both ends of the court.

PREDICTION: Fifth in Pacific (23 – 59)